The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CL5.x kernel stability

Discussion in 'CloudLinux' started by Jay M, May 30, 2012.

1. Jay M

Jay M Active Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hey Guys,

I was just wanting to see what the communities thoughts on the stability of the latest CL5.x kernel releases are.
    Recently we updated several of our servers from the old 2.6.18-374.3.1.el5.lve0.8.44 kernel to 2.6.18-408.el5.lve0.8.58 - but after doing so we saw each of them displaying load spikes.

As a result we updated those handful of servers to 2.6.18-408.el5.lve0.8.61.1 yesterday to see how that goes, but they still appear to be displaying the spikes. It appears it may poor IO with processes banking up from no discernible source.

We've dropped one back to the 2.6.18-374.3.1.el5.lve0.8.44 kernel for testing purposes, but I'm keen to hear if anyone has seen anything similar before I take it to official support channels - just in case I'm just imaging things, or I'm missing something (as I'm still investigating other potential causes).

Cheers

2. kernow

kernow Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We have had exactly the same issue as you. We spent hours trying to hunt down the cause and came up with no real answers. Were not even sure it is the kernel, but like you it started after the kernel upgrade.

3. Jay M

Jay M Active Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Completely forgot I created this thread. After downgrading several servers from 2.6.18-408.el5.lve0.8.61.1 and 2.6.18-408.el5.lve0.8.58 back to 2.6.18-374.3.1.el5.lve0.8.44 (as I know this one is stable) - our fleet is stable again. Nothing else changed, nor could I find any other reason to explain the issues.

4. Jay M

Jay M Active Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Just incase anyone else finds these same issues, we ended up finding the cause; needed to re-run the vmware tools setup utility.