The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

clamav 0.90.2 potential problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by abubin, Apr 19, 2007.

1. abubin

abubin Well-Known Member

I read in mailscanner mailing list that some users are having performance issue after upgrading to clamav 0.90.2 recently. Some find that this new clamav is taking more resources to do the scanning and causing emails to choke up in the queue.

For those who already upgraded, whether using mailscanner or not, are you facing such problem on your server? I want to know for sure before upgrading.

2. easyhoster1

easyhoster1 Well-Known Member

Yes, it is using around 20% more CPU then the last version.

3. MN-Robert

MN-Robert Well-Known Member

Yes since 90.1 we have noticed a large increase. 90.2 is chewing through the resources

mailnull 63.36 1.95 0.0
    Top Process %CPU 184 /usr/local/bin/clamscan --unzip --jar --tar --tgz --deb --max-ratio500 --tempdir/tmp/clamav.14439 -r --disable-summary --stdout .
    Top Process %CPU 182 /usr/local/bin/clamscan --unzip --jar --tar --tgz --deb --max-ratio500 --tempdir/tmp/clamav.30862 -r --disable-summary --stdout .
    Top Process %CPU 133 /usr/local/bin/clamscan --unzip --jar --tar --tgz --deb --max-ratio500 --tempdir/tmp/clamav.21455 -r --disable-summary --stdout .

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

If this is through MailScanner, are you using clamavmodule? clamscan suggest you're using clamav instead for the virus scanner which is indeed more resource intensive than the module route.

5. MN-Robert

Jonathan, yes it's mailscanner FE it's your install :)

We haven't changed anything in terms of MSFE how do we change to module usage?

6. MN-Robert

Nevermind found it, yes your right usage resource is virtual 1/10 now using the module.

7. abubin

abubin Well-Known Member

I have been using clamav module all along. So, I am assuming it is save to upgrade?