The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ClamAV Anti Virus

Discussion in 'cPanel Developers' started by FeeL, Sep 10, 2004.

1. FeeL

FeeL Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    At My daily Log I get This.

Warning: Cannot install File::Scan::ClamAV, don't know what it is.
    Try the command

i /File::Scan::ClamAV/

I know that it is working,

root@skol [/scripts]# ./checkstatus_clamd
    root 27490 0.1 3.0 49000 15412 ? S Sep08 4:45 /usr/sbin/clamd
    root@skol [/scripts]#

But is it working fine? And the new features automatic installed? I think I am the Anti-virus is not working fine, becose I am getting a lot of crap..

Sds
    FeeL

#1 FeeL, Sep 10, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2004
  2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Try the following:

/scripts/perlinstaller File::Scan::ClamAV

If there are no errors, it will ensure that that perl module is installed.

3. goodmove

goodmove Well-Known Member

Is that module needed if Mailscanner is already installed?

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

It's not needed, but cPanel may insist on trying to install it. It's only used by the clamavconnector "add-on module", which is completely incompatible if you have MailScanner installed (thanks cPanel :rolleyes: )

5. StevenC

StevenC Well-Known Member

Chripy in lots of posts you put cpanels addon down. You just need to shut your damn mouth. Clamav+exiscan is plenty for most people. Your just pissed you cant sell your little package of yours.

6. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

What on earth are you talking about? And what got you so uptight?

I was complaining that their package broke something - I've made no comment at all about clamavconnect other than installing it will break MailScanner. I sell an installation package for MailScanner, sure, but if you hadn't noticed I publish the installation script for free for all to use. I have plenty of people contact me, thanking me for the solution because the ones cPanel provide simply do not satisfy their needs (mostly Web Hosts).

So, erm, get over yourself! :rolleyes:

7. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Ignoring the rude post.... chirpy is correct, if you have MailScanner installed (which from seeing posts here and other forums is quite a alot) the addon for clamav can cause it to have issues.

Personally I stay away from most of cPanel's addons as I've found them to be buggy and unpredictable.

Now not ignoring the rude post.... http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?p=138240#post138240 :D the past can haunt.

#7 dgbaker, Sep 18, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2004
  8. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Why the personal attack? Do you expect to be taken seriously with those kinds of comments?
    Maybe you should stick to WHT where that type of behavior is tolerated? Makes me wonder if you have a substance abuse problem?

9. damainman

damainman Well-Known Member

Exactly what you said for "Most People", but not all people including myself. I personally Prefer Mailscanner ALOT more then exiscan. I don't understand why CPANEL, with all their scripting knowledge and knowledge of how CPANEL operates, cannot create a mailscanner compatible package like they have the exiscan package.

I mean if Chirpy can do it, why not the creators of CPANEL? :rolleyes:

10. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

11. cPanelBilly

cPanelBilly Guest

Please note that any 3rd party addon (addons not created by cPanel) will not be supported.
    Please also note that cPanel will not take these 3rd party addons into account when updating/creating new addons or cPanel versions. Installing these 3rd party addons in theory can stop your server from functioning correctly.

We will not be able to support any programs that have 3rd party addons added in.

In this instance we cannot and will not support exim for any user that uses this mailscanner addon. PLEASE take this into consideration when installing this addon.

We have done some testing and find that the exiscan and clamAV combination uses much less system resources than the mailscanner option which is why we have choosen to support the exiscan + ClamAV as it will work the best for most users.

12. FWC

FWC Well-Known Member

On every server we have there are clients who insist on having virus scanning and those who want it turned off. Your package is not a viable option. If Mailscanner is a bit more resource intensive, put less sites on the server. Load is not the only consideration here.

13. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Firstly, it doesn't have to take up much more resources, but, yes, it can do. A little investment in research of MailScanner and indeed consulting its developers (who are very open to suggestions and improvements) would help demonstrate that to you.

However, that doesn't and shouldn't preclude having it as an option in exactly the same way you have an option for proftpd or pure-ftpd, or mysql and postgresql. Since using MailScanner is very simple to implement and the ability to integrate it properly is there NOW, including user specific SA rules plus white and black lists (with a little imagination), then I think your logic is plain short-sighted.

I'd be happy if no-one needed my MailScanner package or script if it were built into cPanel. The simple fact, though, is that hundreds of people have downloaded the script and I get a regular number of people needing the MailScanner package, simple because the exiscan/clamavconnector solution does not provide them with the granularity they need to offer effective spam control, especially for your target audience - web hosting companies.

Hey, even Ensim (spit) offer MailScanner as in inbuilt option for their customers to use :eek:

I would suggest you rethink your strategy. Since some 80% of email is now Spam and the panacea of SPF is proving to be little or no help against spam (although I agree it does help with joe-jobs) I think having a more positive attitude to customers requirements, rather than what you think customers deserve, would be welcomed.

14. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

This part of /scripts/mailscannerupdate is responsible for the problem:
    Code:
    if (-e "/etc/exim.conf.mailman2.dist" && -e "/var/cpanel/mailman2") {
       if (-e "/var/clamd" && -e "/usr/sbin/clamd" && -e "/etc/exim.conf.mailman2.exiscan.dist") {
            exit();
       }
    }
    These conditions result in an exit() which will break MailScanner since none of those conditions has a bearing on whether MailScanner is installed or not.

[edited to remove my frustrated comments]

#14 chirpy, Sep 19, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2004
  15. damainman

damainman Well-Known Member

I was going to reply, but i believe Chirpy stated exactly what i had to say above. Why is it so hard to have mailscanner as an alternative to exiscan? I'm sure the cpanel development would be able to implement something stable enough to use. If one guy(Chirpy) can do it, why not a whole development team?

If using mailscanner = no exim support from cpanel, then i choose to waive my exim support from cpanel, as i'm not plannng to change from mailscanner to exiscan.

I strongly suggest CPanel reconsider their thoughts and decision on this.

16. jester.ro

jester.ro Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    honestly, i don't understand why the big fuss over mailscanner/exiscan

just 2 add-ons, and cpanel chose one. the good one, the bad one, it doesn't matter. If you consider exiscan a bad choice, think of the other bad choices in cpanel(UW-imap and exim come to mind).

in my opinion, the combination of exim+mailscanner is bad. exim is pretty slow, and eats alot of resources. Mailscanner add to that, and can render a pretty high-end server useless.

exiscan on the other hand is easy to maintain. This means less problems for cpanel developers. I cant understand why a client would NOT want an antivirus on his email-system, so for me the ability to disable AV protection per user is pretty much useless.

therefore, i'd suggest focusing on improving other sections of cpanel, and leave this one as it is.

17. goodmove

goodmove Well-Known Member

But does exiscan really identify ALL types of viruses, worms and dangerous content? Have tests been done on both to see which one is more reliable?

18. anup123

anup123 Well-Known Member

There is always this "Disclaimer" attached to best of AV scanners ... which in one form or the other just say ... they offer no guaranty that it would do it's job at 100% hit rate :)

Anup

19. jester.ro

jester.ro Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    exiscan, like mailscanner, it's just a script that passes the email to clamAV. So you should ask the question if clamav can detect everithing.

I've been using clam fro a while now(on non-cpanel servers, toghether with qmail + qmailscanner +spamassassin) and i'm happy to say no viruses got trough.

i have it configured to update itself every 30 minutes though :)

20. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Because, for many of our web hosting customers, it is simply unacceptable to them to have email deleted for any reason. They must have to checked and tagged appropriately and then forwarded on to them, this includes email from IP's on RBL's as well as "potential" and "actual" virus infected email (it's cleaned but must be delivered with no bounces sent).

The exiscan solution does not provide for this and would be unacceptable to a large number of professional companies.
    Couldn't agree less. Since spam is the bane of most internet users lives, having a flexible and configurable solution that offers choice it is an essential part of any control panel software. That's why the likes of Ensim have embraced it, rather than tinkered around the edges offering a solution that satisfies the few.