The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ClamAV Antivirus :???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sh4ka, Sep 13, 2005.

1. sh4ka

sh4ka Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hello everyone,

Do you recommend ClamAV antivirus to be installed on a RH/Fedora & cPanel system.. ? have anyone tried it on this kind of system ? Is this tool really necessary?, does it takes too many cpu/memory usage ?

2. a66fm

a66fm Well-Known Member

i've been using it for more than 1,5 years now without any issues.
    i think it's a must to have an antivirus software on any pc nowdays but it's up to you to decide if you really need it.
    cheers

3. astopy

astopy Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I recommend installing it for mail filtering - it is very effective in stopping viruses from reaching users' mailboxes.

4. gupi

gupi Well-Known Member

There are plenty of tutorials on HowTo implement clamav+[MTA]+amavisd as a good mailscanning solution.

Personally, I use clamav+postfix+amavisd on a Fedora Core 2 box for about two years, and works great. As a66fm posted before, NO issues at all.

Clamav uses pretty small resources, and has to connect to the internet just once a day, for signature updates.

5. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Before even considering installing the software on your system, I would make sure that you know and understand your local laws that might effect your company. For instance, as an Australian business, if we actively scan email for virii and a client becomes infected, we would be responsible and we would have to pay for any damages / lost business etc. caused by any infestation. Just some food for thought.

6. astopy

astopy Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    <off-topic>So the Australian government would rather that we didn't even try to protect our customers, rather than trying and occasionally failing? It's as if governments don't even consult people who know what they're talking about before passing laws...</off-topic>

7. sh4ka

sh4ka Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    hehehe, I live in Uruguay.. here there is no law about hosting or other kind of damage against viruses in customer's Pcs.

8. abubin

abubin Well-Known Member

You sure that is in the Australian law? I thought australian government is much better than this...but I guess i am wrong...with this kind of law it shows the country if run by a bunch of #%$#%

tell me, what if the person himself installed symantec antivirus and got infected because the virus is new and symantec didn't update in time? Would symantec have to pay for lost of business?

9. gupi

gupi Well-Known Member

<offtopic> Can you please post a link to the text of the law ?

10. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Haze - as a fellow Aussie I'm not sure that legal interpretation is right, and would love to see the original law cited.

I think it might be more around what you promise - if you promise to filter ALL viruses, or say something that could be construed that way, you are in trouble. One way around most of this is to recommend that all client PCs have anti-virus software installed, common sense anyway really.