swbrains

Sep 13, 2006
I recently upgraded cPanel and received Immunify AV. It looks like my server has ClamAV running on it currently but I enabled Immunify when it prompted me to upon WHM login.

Is is necessary to run both? Do they scan different things?

Thanks for any guidance or advice anyone can provide!

cPanelLauren

Product Owner II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Immunify actually uses (or used previously) ClamAV for some items at one point, though I believe they've almost removed it from the product completely, it's perfectly fine to have them both, they may have different virus signatures in their databases. The only impact you might see though is increased load.

swbrains

Sep 13, 2006
Ok, thanks. Sounds like there is some overlap with them, and it's not as if they are doing completely different types of scans. I'd like to disable one since I am trying to keep my server load where it is. :)

Reactions: cPanelLauren

swbrains

Sep 13, 2006
I noticed this morning that my server's backup routine is running during daytime hours, while it usually ran overnight. My guess is that Immunify is running overnight now and perhaps "pushing" the backup to run at a lower-load time, which happens to be later in the morning. Where in WHM do I disable Immunify if I want to test this theory?

swbrains

Sep 13, 2006
Nevermind -- I found it in WHM. I was searching for "Immunify" and just realized it's called "Imunify" with one "m". :)

swbrains

Sep 13, 2006
Ok, I'm back with a new question! :) I found the config page for Imunify and set it to "Never" scan, which I assume is how you disable it. Yet I am currently seeing "defence360agent.run " in my process listing and it's using a fair amount of CPU. Googling this item indicates it's part of Imunify. Apparently, I haven't disabled all of it. Any ideas to completely disable all of the Imunify processes? Or perhaps to just uninstall it?

cPanelLauren

Product Owner II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
I was just going to say you can disable scanning in the background by setting it to never but you can also just stop imunify
systemctl stop imunify-antivirus

Then restart it when you're ready:
systemctl start imunify-antivirus

Which stops the agent from running

swbrains

Sep 13, 2006
Will this stop the service from restarting automatically if the server is rebooted? Or is it best to simply uninstall to ensure it doesn't run in the future?

Kent Brockman

PartnerNOC
Jan 20, 2008
Buenos Aires, Argentina
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I was just going to say you can disable scanning in the background by setting it to never but you can also just stop imunify
systemctl stop imunify-antivirus
Which stops the agent from running
Will cPanel add an entry to control Imunify from WHM's Service Manager? I think you should, guys.
Regards

Reactions: swbrains

Jay3570

Oct 24, 2019
USA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Will cPanel add an entry to control Imunify from WHM's Service Manager? I think you should, guys.
Regards
That's likely something you'd have to ask Imunify about. Also, ImunifyAV FREE has a CLI application that I'm sure you could configure to email you notifications with a cron job or something similar.