clamd failing. Bad update?

sozotech

Jul 26, 2013
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I am seeing clamd trying to restart on all of our servers and am getting the following error message.

Starting clamd: LibClamAV Error: cli_loadhash: Problem parsing database at line 1
LibClamAV Error: Can't load /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/share/clamav/honeynet.hdb: Malformed database
LibClamAV Error: cli_loaddbdir(): error loading database /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/share/clamav/honeynet.hdb
ERROR: Malformed database

Running freshclam doesn't seem to pull down a good database. Any ideas how to get clamd back up and running?

mobboss

Jan 29, 2014
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
I have been getting this as well.

LibClamAV Error: cli_loadhash: Problem parsing database at line 1
LibClamAV Error: Can't load /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/share/clamav/securiteinfooffice.hdb: Malformed database
LibClamAV Error: cli_loaddbdir(): error loading database /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/share/clamav/securiteinfooffice.hdb

clamd has failed. Contact your system administrator if the service does not automagically recover.

supporto

Registered
Jun 8, 2008
same issue

LibClamAV Error: Can't load /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/share/clamav/securiteinfoelf.hdb: Malformed database
LibClamAV Error: cli_loaddbdir(): error loading database /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/share/clamav/securiteinfoelf.hdb

clamd has failed. Contact your system administrator if the service does not automagically recover.

tm2004

Mar 1, 2005
Same here, started a few days ago. Any ideas?

Code:
[email protected] [/]# /scripts/restartsrv_clamd
Waiting for “clamd” to start ……
…failed.

Service Error
        The “clamd” service failed to start.

Startup Log
        LibClamAV Error: Can't load /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/share/clamav/securiteinfoelf.hdb: Malformed database
        LibClamAV Error: cli_loaddbdir(): error loading database /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/share/clamav/securiteinfoelf.hdb

Last edited:

tm2004

Mar 1, 2005
Hmm, this is the contents of /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/share/clamav/securiteinfohtml.hdb after a fresh cPanel update to 11.52 (23)

Code:
clamav.securiteinfo.com/securiteinfoelf.hdb has been removed

New up-to-date signatures are available for download

Please see the following link for more information :

https://www.securiteinfo.com/services/improve-detection-rate-of-zero-day-malwares-for-clamav.shtml

tm2004

Mar 1, 2005
Something needs to be changed.. there is another set of files here: /usr/share/clamav/

When I run FRESHCLAM I get this:
Code:
Using username "root".
Last login: Tue Nov 17 05:49:54 2015
[email protected] [~]# freshclam
ClamAV update process started at Tue Nov 17 05:53:30 2015
main.cld is up to date (version: 55, sigs: 2424225, f-level: 60, builder: neo)
daily.cld is up to date (version: 21062, sigs: 1687373, f-level: 63, builder: neo)
bytecode.cld is up to date (version: 270, sigs: 46, f-level: 63, builder: shurley)
[email protected] [~]#

sozotech

Jul 26, 2013
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I got a the following response back from cPanel.

"The following databases are no longer used and weren't able to be loaded by ClamAv. They were located in /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/share/clamav and have been moved to /root/cpanelzone"

The following commands should work to move these DB's out of the way and get clamav started again.

Code:
mkdir /root/cpanelzone/
cd /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/share/clamav
mv honeynet.hdb /root/cpanelzone/
mv securiteinfobat.hdb /root/cpanelzone/
mv securiteinfodos.hdb /root/cpanelzone/
mv securiteinfoelf.hdb /root/cpanelzone/
mv securiteinfohtml.hdb /root/cpanelzone/
mv securiteinfooffice.hdb /root/cpanelzone/
mv securiteinfopdf.hdb /root/cpanelzone/
mv securiteinfosh.hdb /root/cpanelzone/
service exim restart
Not sure why their update script did not remove these when they stopped supporting them.

Best regards,
Eric

tm2004

Mar 1, 2005
Thanks for the details from cPanel. Crazy thing for me... about an hour after I upgraded to 11.52 (and finally gave up making it work), I get a system email that the dang thing restarted and has been working all afternoon. Maybe a cached config file somewhere?? Who knows but a FORCED UPCP eventually worked for us.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello :)

Were these databases manually implemented at some point? I can't reproduce their existence on a fresh installation, and I see no previous references to them.

Thank you.

Sanesecurity

Registered
Nov 24, 2015
Earth
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Securiteinfo changed their database location and setup a while back.

[Removed]

The above script is kept up-to-date with the various new databases, such as badmacro.ndb, foxhole_filename.cdb and foxhole_generic.cdb etc.

Hope that helps,

Steve