The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

clarification on cpanel and nameservers

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by hbeaumont, Nov 12, 2003.

1. hbeaumont

hbeaumont Member

Hi,

I do not yet use cpanel but am researching.

It appears that the recommended method of handling nameservers is to run both your ns1 and ns2 on the same server as your main web server.

so if I had three servers, I would run:

ns1 and ns2 on server one
    ns3 and ns4 on server two
    ns5 and ns6 on server three

clients on server three would use ns5 and ns6 as their nameservers correct?

Does this appear to work well? Or would anyone recommend using one big nameserver for all servers?

I know it is against traditional thinking (and totally loosing the intended point of a ns1 and ns2) but it seems to me that keeping the nameservers on the same server as the webserver makes the most sense:

+ easy to keep the slave (ns2) in sync
    + easy to make changes from the control panel to the server
    + dos protection - dos'ing a nameserver will only effect one server and one group of clients
    + if the webserver is down it doesn't really matter if the nameservers are down since even if they were up there would be no web site to contact anyway

only downside would be a long term outage where you wanted to update the dns to point to a server at another provider.

Comments anyone?

Is there something I'm missing?

Do I not understand the pre-ferred cpanel way of doing things?

Thanks for all comments!

2. B12Org

B12Org Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    That method works. It really dont matter wherre you put the second name server, as long as its somewhere and its registered at the registrar.

3. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Is there something I'm missing?
    Yes. The setup mentioned is not a 'cpanel' thing, it is common setup for the majority of ServerAdmins.

Once one gets to running 6 or more Servers, it is wise to setup a dedicated DNS Server, although, if one can afford the expense, the sooner it is done the better. That is, presuming one is going to be expanding their Servers as in, being a big, big, big, Web Hosting Company which we all strive for. Right? :D