The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clean inbox from spam

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by akalyptos, Jun 29, 2007.

1. akalyptos

akalyptos Member

hello,
    i enable SpamAssassin, but a don't know how to delete the old spam emails from users inboxs
    before SpamAssassin.

#1 akalyptos, Jun 29, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  2. Bailey

Bailey Well-Known Member

are you running mbox or maildir?

If you are running maildir, you can download Mail Manage from here. Then just login to the account with Mail Manage, and mass-delete the spam.

But, Mail Manage only works with maildir. It doesn't work with the old mbox format.

:D Bailey

3. akalyptos

akalyptos Member

Thanks for your reply,
    i install Mail Manage and is very nice.
    But is not that i need.
    I need to clean my users inbox from spam, not to delete all emails from there inbox.

4. jandafields

jandafields Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Deleting mail from your clients inbox, even what is marked as spam, seems like a bad idea. What if some of it is false positive? As a client, once mail goes to my account, I would not want my host logging into my account and messing with my mail. Unless of course they asked you to do this... Just my opinion.

5. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

You could use a simple script that will delete mails marked as spam after a certain period such as this.

#/bin/sh
    /usr/bin/find /home/*/mail/*/*/.spam/*/ -type f -ctime +7 | xargs /bin/rm -v

So, this will delete mails older than 7 days. Adjust as you see fit.

6. akalyptos

akalyptos Member

My problem is that,
    one of my customers, he gets a lot of spam emails. So i tell him to enable SpamAssassin.
    He also tell me if i can clean the his users inboxs (30000+ emails). Not to delete all as they have emails that they need.
    The 30000+ emails are before he enable SpamAssassin.
    I need something to scans emails inboxs and move the spams to another folder.

#6 akalyptos, Jul 2, 2007
  7. jandafields

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Why not use something like Thunderbird IMAP Client? Just setup the filtering to check for spam using a third-party scan filter and move those emails to another folder. As it runs the filter while reading the email, it will automatically move those spam messages on the server since it is IMAP. Make sure you are using IMAP and not POP3, otherwise you will be removing ALL the emails from the server!

#7 jandafields, Jul 5, 2007
  8. akalyptos

akalyptos Member

Is not my inbox. We talk for clients inboxs.

The headers of the emails are no mark as spam. Emails arrive to inbox before client unable SpamAssassin

#8 akalyptos, Jul 5, 2007
  9. jandafields

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ok, you can still use Thunderbird because it will just be used one time to do the initial filtering and then spamassassin will take care of all the future messages. Thunderbird will not remove the emails from the server, it will simple filter and sort them. (You will have to setup that separate folder first for the spam to go into)

About not having spam headers... Thunderbird has some spam filtering built in that you can enable, and you can add on a third-party spam scanner to actually scan each message.

Remember, Thunderbird will be used only once to do the initial spam filtering through IMAP. Your client will not have to use Thunderbird themselves, and Spam Assassin will take care of all future incoming mail.

10. akalyptos

akalyptos Member

I think spamassassin can scan emails that already on the inbox via console,
    can someone know how to do that? :confused:

The only documents i fount for SpamAssassin console is from terminal ( spamassassin -help ). :(

11. RandyO

RandyO Well-Known Member

As a system admin, I can assure you that if you remove any emails from client accounts it will come back to haunt you some day...

Have them download and install Thunderbird and setup an email filter for the "Spam" message header..

Or have them configure a rule in Outlook to do the same. This is not that hard to do and it will save you having to explain how or why an important email was removed

12. akalyptos

akalyptos Member

Hi i agree with you, but have you read all the treat??????

The headers of the emails are no mark as spam. Emails arrive to inbox before client unable SpamAssassin

Thank you all for yours reply s ,
    i agree with most of you but please read all the treat, and if you thing that you can help or have a solution post.

#12 akalyptos, Jul 5, 2007
  13. jandafields

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    That is why, for "one time only" you scan with Thunderbird that has another spam filter connected to Thunderbird on your local computer. This will separate the good from the bad. Filter the bad into their own folder. After this, the recently installed Spam Assassin will handle the future mail. This will not delete emails or remove them from the server. It will just separate them out. If there is a lot of mail, it may take awhile depending on your Internet connection, but it will work and will get you moving on to your next project.

14. akalyptos

akalyptos Member

i agree with you, you solution is great if i have to do this for one email inbox,
    but tell how i can doing this for 50+ emails accounts and 30000+ emals, with out know there pass.....

I think spamassassin can scan emails that already on the inbox via console,
    can someone know how to do that?

#14 akalyptos, Jul 5, 2007
  15. RandyO

RandyO Well-Known Member

http://www.rogerbinns.com/isbg/

Sorry your english did not come out very well. It seems you want to run spamassassin POST delivery to your clients? the above is a routine I found but not sure it will do you any good.

16. jandafields

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for that link! I think that will benefit this guy, and other people as well!!!