The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cleaning up public_ftp folder...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pankaj Mohan, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Pankaj Mohan

Pankaj Mohan Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi,

I've been a cPanel user for over a decade now, and public_ftp folder has always confused me a lot. I can always find a replica of my public_html folder there as well, whenever checking out for the folders, which I could safely delete from my hosting account. 'tmp' is the folder where you can find some obvious files for deletion to bring down your Disk Space Usage. But, what about the files and folders within public_ftp? Is it safe to start deleting them, whenever on a Disk Space Usage warning?

Look forward to some guiding words here.

Thanks,
    Pankaj Mohan

2. 24x7server

24x7server Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :),

The public_ftp folder is used for storing files which are available for the public. But all of the host has blocked anonymus FTP login due to security reason. If you want, you can delete that folder from your account.

3. Pankaj Mohan

Pankaj Mohan Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thanks 24x7server for clarifying about this. I already have my 'public_ftp/incoming' folder empty, which means I don't require taking anymore actions. Hope I'm correct in my assumption here. I'll leave the 'public_ftp/public_html' contents as it is, on the other hand, which houses the replicas of the bulk of my public_html folders and files.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Is there any reason you choose to store backup files in the public_ftp directory? I'd suggest placing it in your account's home directory as "public_html_backup" instead of in the directory that's intended for anonymous FTP purposes.

Thank you.

5. Benedict Ford

Benedict Ford Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    That's what I thought when I read what this guy is doing.
    I'd say least preferable destination would be public_ftp

6. Pankaj Mohan

Pankaj Mohan Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I was told not to meddle with the public_ftp contents by my hosting reseller's support, which I always doubted about anyways, and also the reason why I finally decided to seek a remedy here.

I'm not interested in keeping a backup of my public_html in my home directory or anywhere else in my hosting account, since I already do the home directory's backup through the backup wizard, and keep downloading it onto my pc regularly.

What I'll do now is, to backup my home directory once more, and delete everything in the public_ftp folder. My lack of technical and programming knowledge about the servers is the cause of my confusion here.. :confused:

Is public_ftp meant solely for anonymous downloads of files, if I wanted to share it with my visitors? Does it play no role at all in the normal functioning of my website (e.g caching of pages)?

I'm starting to suspect that I probably have kept a door open for stealing all my website credentials by allowing that public_html within my public_ftp.. :eek:

7. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, that is correct. That being said, your files should not have been compromised provided anonymous FTP remained disabled on the account.

Thank you.