Client and Server SSH issues on server

iAndy

Registered
Feb 6, 2017
Arizona
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hi all, I'm having a strange issue that's causing my google skills to fail me. I haven't messed with my server in a long time but I noticed my custom backup script wasn't working the other day. It uses SSH to transfer files to another server so I went to log into SSH to see what was going on and it disconnected me as soon as I signed in with the password. I used the terminal in cpanel to log in and that worked. I turned on debug3 logging and tried to log in and the fail message from the log is: fatal: mm_request_send: write: Broken pipe

So I can't solve that but maybe I can figure out why my backups are failing to copy the files using ssh. I notice if I try to connect to any host using SSH it gives an error message: dup() in/out/err failed
All of the servers I tried work from other servers. My backup script is actually using SCP, but it fails with the same error message that SSH is when it tries to connect, so I figure if I can fix that, SCP will start working too.

I tried using the autofix script with safesshrestart and it didn't help. Does anyone have any tips or advice on what to try?

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston

iAndy

Registered
Feb 6, 2017
Arizona
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
The version that is reported for both openssh and openssl is: OpenSSH_5.3p1, OpenSSL 1.0.1e-fips 11 Feb 2013

It sounds like that guy is having the exact same issue that I am with this server. I found 2 other threads that said the error message that I'm getting with the SSH login is caused by a rootkit virus. I didn't even know those were made for linux. I think I'm going to give up on this problem and get a different server. It's time to upgrade anyway. It's an old centos 6 server.

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
I actually questioned whether or not that guy was you before providing the link so yea it is the same issue. I'd suggest before wiping the server open a ticket with us so we can look into the issue further.