Client can't access server issue

PCZero

Dec 13, 2003
Earth
I have a very odd issue. It is probably just me being a total DFU and missing something.

Situation -
All sites hosted on my server use the main server shared IP except one site that is on a dedicated IP.
One of my clients cannot access any site on the main server shared IP, pings timeout.
The client CAN access the site that is on the dedicated IP.

CPHulk and csf block lists have been cleared and the clients IP has been added to the allow IP/white lists.
Server has been rebooted.

Client's router (Verizon) has been reset and rebooted.
Client's (Windows 10, yuck) PC has been rebooted.

None of this had any impact on the issue.

Please tell me how much of a DFU I am being and what it is that am I missing?

UPDATE: Multiple clients who have Verizon as their ISP are having the same issue. Is it possible / probable that VZ has the main server IP on some sort of block list? It seems odd to me that they would do that. There are no offensive of even slightly black hat sites hosted on that box.

Last edited:

cPanelLauren

Forums Analyst II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Before I read your update, I was going to note exactly what you mentioned in it. It sounds an awful lot like they've got your IP blacklisted for some reason. It might not even be a reason that is on purpose, occasionally there is a network change that has unforeseen consequences like blocks of IP's being unreachable from their network - while that's just speculation on my part it seems the most likely scenario. There could also be an issue at your datacenter that is preventing access in a similar fashion - like an IP range got blocked and it happened to be one managed by Verizon (example).

I'd suggest having the client/s that are experiencing the issue run a traceroute from their local PC to the server IP to see where the connection drops off. I'd show it first to your datacenter and see if they have any insight.

PCZero

Dec 13, 2003
Earth
Hey Lauren thanks for jumping in. I jmsu be getting old and slow. I completely forgot about traceroute! Anyway it seems to have been a temporary block somewhere along the path between the client's PC and the web server, everyoen in question can now successfully reach the box in question. It has ben a whle but I do think that at oen point in the past you assisted me with anotehr issue along teh way. Thanks for helping again on this episode. I'll be sure to ingrain traceroute in my brain deeply enough that I do not forget it in teh future!

Reactions: cPanelLauren