The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Client looking to migrate from h-sphere to cPanel - any way to xfer mail?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by psrch, Aug 25, 2010.

1. psrch

psrch Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Cumming, GA
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have a client who is moving to a cpanel based server, from an h-sphere based one. My task will be to perform the migration. I can set up the email accounts on the new server, but is there any way to transfer the actual email? I wouldn't think so, as the two systems use different email handlers, but I thought I'd check.
  2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Houston, TX
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Mail format

There is no tool provided by cPanel to transfer mail between H-Sphere and cPanel, but I can describe the format used by cPanel to store mail, which may help.

Each account on a cPanel server stores its mail accounts' usernames and passwords in passwd and shadow files in the following directory structure:

Each account stores mail for its mail users in the following directory structure:

In each of the above:

$home = the home directory where the account is stored;
    $account = the cPanel account username;
    $domain = the domain name;
    $mailbox = the individual mailbox created in cPanel

Mail is stored in Maildir format in the directories for each individual mail account. Each message is represented by a single file, in plain text format. Messages that have not yet been read are stored in a "new" subdirectory, while messages that have been read are stored in a "cur" subdirectory.

I hope this helps you. Please let me know if I can clarify this further.