Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SOLVED Client Website displays incorrect SSL Certificate

Discussion in 'Security' started by thowden, Mar 4, 2018.

1. thowden

thowden Member

May 17, 2013
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi All

I have already resolved this, but I figured it might be useful info for someone else.

My original post message was going to be:

I have a really odd problem with a client account that has a GlobalSign AlphaSSL certificate installed in the CPanel account. Everything checks out but the site presents in the web browser with a Let's Encrypt certificate with a different expiry date. The only reason I looked was that I installed the renewed certificate for the client over the weekend.

1. Confirmed the client account CPanel only shows 1 installed SSL - GlobalSign
    2. Confirmed the client account via WHM SSL Install shows the same
    3. Confirmed via /home/client/ssl/ directory that the content has only one SSL cert etc.
    4. Checked via multiple browsers on my computers same result.
    5. Checked via a remote computer that has never looked at the site previously and it shows the Lets Encrypt certificate.
    6. Checked the WHM AutoSSL is disabled (was never enabled and never had a Lets Encrypt plugin or process).
    7. Updated WHM and restarted the server to try and clear any caching process

It was at this point that I said, what if it is not looking at this server ? Why would it not be ? Because the client has at some point implemented a CDN configuration and the CDN is supplying a Let's Encrypt certificate in front of the server.....

Lesson: Always check that the server you are looking at is the server you need to be looking at, first!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator