Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Clone an existing cPanel server to an isolated machine?

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by Alistair Sutter, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Alistair Sutter

Alistair Sutter Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello all,

I am attempting to make myself a clone of our website so that I can "go crazy" with it.

The website was initially on a headless Xen machine which I managed to clone entirely using rsync. It was a bit difficult to get it to boot properly but after modifying grub configuration, fstab entries and network interfaces most of everything seemed to work.

Except.. For the web services. I can try connecting to it through localhost, every URI gets redirected to /usr/local/cpanel/cgi-sys/default-webpage.cgi.
    Same with 127.0.0.1 or the local IP (which is disconnected anyway: 192.168.1.38).

I cannot login to the cloned CPanel either. I get a "A network error occured during your login request. Please try again [...]"
    Same error on WHM.

So basically everything redirects to default-webpage.cgi and I cannot enter any GUI to try and resolve the issue. Can I reset the configuration for CPanel and WHM through the command-line? By doing so will I erase everything in public_html? (I'm trying to save most of the apache config, external modules and public_html code so that I have a minimal amount of things to setup.)

The server was moved from a 65.181.125.xx address range to a 192.168.1.xx which I think might be the root of the issue.

grep output:

Code:
    /etc/redhat-release:CentOS release 6.9 (Final)
    /usr/local/cpanel/version:11.70.0.42
    /var/cpanel/envtype:standard
    CPANEL=release
    Any help appreciated.

Cheers.

2. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @Alistair Sutter

I don't think what you're trying to do is going to actually work. cPanel needs to be able to connect to the licensing servers in order to function properly, furthermore it sounds like you moved all the configuration associated with the previous machine (including networking) to this new machine with the old IP address, this would include the license file and several references to the old IP address in /var/cpanel/ and /usr/local/cpanel.

What would work would be to move the domain to another cPanel server (which would mean a second license) or create a new account and add the domain you want to test things on to the existing server

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...