Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Clone Server-A to Server-B

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SeanLee, Jan 28, 2005.

1. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I really wish that people who end up doing this procedure would post with regard to the outcome... i.e. went smoothly, had a few hiccups (describe them), was a total disaster, etc.

Has anybody done this on WHM/Cpanel 11.24 with success?

I want to migrate from a CentOS 3.9 / Apache 1.x / Cpanel 11.24 machine to a CentOS 5.2 / Apache 2.x / Cpanel 11.24 machine.

I would upgrade my Apache on the current machine to the 2.x version but I fear I'm going to have problems with SSL if I do that.

Can anybody elaborate on the viability of this script with 11.24?

Thanks

Mike

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. SeanLee

SeanLee Well-Known Member

I have not tried this procedure for quite some time. Why not use the multiple account copy function? Then you could just change the nameservers after the fact.

3. DigitalN

DigitalN Well-Known Member

Indeed, it's a very old thread .. it's probably easier for you to use whm nowadays, especially if you are not that comfortable at the command line.

The whm copy is a lot better these days.

4. nsetiono

nsetiono Active Member

for me your script can save time when i bought a new server since the whm and cpanel config should be the same with the old one :)

i really don't know where is the location of configuration needed by cpanel/whm :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    As it turned out, I ended up turning off all services (except Mysql) on the old machine, running a /scripts/cpbackup --force one last time. I then removed the backup drive from that machine, put it in the new machine where I already had a new OS and Cpanel configured.

Then I went through the process of restoring accounts. It went smooth except for the fact that i had to change the IP on each account after I added it. Even though I had the same IPs on the new machine that I did on the old machine, I wasn't given an option to restore the account with that exact IP. I restored a site, changed its IP, and repeated ad nauseum nearly 200 times rofl.

Other than that, it went very smooth - and the benefit of this is that I am running the latest version of an OS, the latest version fo Cpanel, the latest version of PHP/MySQL/Apache, and don't have all the clutter from 5 years of Cpanel being installed on the machine.

Agreed - the WHM restore has come a long way. And to add to that, the Cpanel staff are great. There isn't a better company than Cpanel when it comes the software they create and their ability to provide superb support.

Mike

6. AndyB78

AndyB78 Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried this with cPanel 11.25.0?

Regards!

Later edit: I would use the "Transfer multiple accounts..." but this is messy if you want to retain the original IPs as it changes the IPs from the original ones to the temporary IPs and then you have to migrate your old IPs back (I imagine all these IP changes back and forth would generate propagation issues).

#46 AndyB78, Feb 14, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  7. maverick23

maverick23 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I tried doing it and worked fine for me.... was trying to do it through copy accounts but the process was breaking up again and again.... this worked good

8. AdamHahn

AdamHahn Registered

Please Help!!

I've read through this thread and need advice. I currently have cPanel running on Server A and want it transferred over to Server B. Both servers are running RHEL 5.2. The steps I took were to power off Server A, and set the IP of server B to the same as server A was (Let's Say 1.1.1.1). Then installed cPanel on Server B and ran the online web configuration. I then powered on and put server A on a different IP and used WHM Multiple account transfer to get the accounts copied from Server A to Server B, then shut down server A and rebooted server B. Both servers are behind a Firebox Firewall that routes the traffic to 1.1.1.1. All of the account IP's are set to 1.1.1.1 and our external IP is set as the main shared IP in basic WHM settings which is exactly how it was set up when working on Server A.

My question then becomes:

What can I do to get this current setup working (Did i miss something?) aside from starting all over and using this script?

9. myusername

myusername Well-Known Member PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    There not enough information for anyone to really answer that question accurately, but the simple answer without getting into what you did wrong and trying to fix it, would be to install cpanel on both boxes and get them both online first.

Then run the script as advised, after you have read the entire thread for updates, since it is several years old, reboot the machines so the IPs are swapped.

10. wizzy420

wizzy420 Well-Known Member

Are you morally opposed to security updates or something?

5.3 was release over a year ago. You haven't ran "yum update" or had your servers update themselves in like a minimum of 14 months, possibly longer?

#50 wizzy420, Mar 29, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  11. AdamHahn

AdamHahn Registered

Well I already have everything up and working on Server A, I just need it copied over to Server B. What more information would you need? I'm really trying to avoid reinstalling the OS and cPanel again.

12. myusername

myusername Well-Known Member PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Well, as the original post regarding the script states, and I mentioned in my last post, both servers should be online.

Why would you need to reinstall cPanel or the OS? All the script does is copy the cPanel user accounts, user settings and other settings required to make the transfer. Though you might want to be running a newer OS on server B...

So if server A is online and working, get Server B online and working. Then run the script and follow the destructions. If it doesn't work, try it again until you understand the process. Server A won't vanish off the face of the planet, all you need to do is change the IPs back to how they were before the transfer. Everything will be where it was before you started the attempt to copy.

That or you could just pay someone to do it for you.

13. AdamHahn

AdamHahn Registered

Ok I'll remove the accounts that were copied over using whm and attempt using the script.

14. AdamHahn

AdamHahn Registered

Update

Just an update for anyone who reads this in the future..

I tried using the script and it did work successfully, but I had some interesting problems. All of the accounts seemed to copy over correctly and were live on the web like they should've been, but in WHM none of the accounts showed up when I would click list accounts. While the script was running I noticed a couple of the rsyncs failed and I'm sure that is why.

My final solution was to remove everything and use the WHM multiple account copy once again. One very important step I did this time and left out last time was running
    Code:
    chkconfig ipaliases off
    on both of the machines prior to restarting after the transfer was complete.

Anyway it's all working now and I thank everyone who helped me try to resolve this :)

15. ceesco53

ceesco53 Registered

Two additional steps and it worked for my cPanel 11.25.0-R44718

I had to edit my post, as it turns out, four additional steps were needed FTW.

1) An additional folder was in need of migration (add to script for others, please!), since I am using SSL certs:

/etc/ssl

2) AFTER the migration, Cpanel and WHM were slightly broken on the destination server, for example:

** Pages in WHM looked slightly abnormal, for example, Server Configuration actually appeared to be spelled TServer TConfiguration.
    ** Features like File Manager did not work right.

These two errors alone prompted me to try the following on the destination server.

Code:
    /scripts/upcp --force
    I ran this after trying without the --force modifier and a reboot.

3) Domains were not properly showing up in some lists in WHM as assigned to accounts/resellers. I decided to try creating a new account with reseller privileges (a test account I could delete later) and see what happened. After this, all the accounts/resellers magically were linked to the proper domains, just like on the original server.

4) I had to reassign hosting packages to all the sites, as many accounts were showing up as unknown package, resulting in unlimited bandwidth and unlimited quota, I believe by default.

Now, sites/cPanel are running smoothly, after an additional hour of "tinkering"

cPanel 11.25
    CentOS 5.4 x64 (Xen Kernel)
    Citrix XenServer 5.5

#55 ceesco53, Apr 16, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  16. Parcye

Parcye Well-Known Member

Do you have your own DNS running? How did you go about moving the DNS?

17. oderland

oderland Well-Known Member PartnerNOC

had used that script about 20 times and it workes fine, ssl dir & ssh keys should be moved also.

We run this script several times on live server, last time before the move we kill the mysql on the old server and sync the last mysql changes before ip change.