ljj3

Nov 7, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Reseller Owner
I'm a bit confused on this.... I have cpanel account backups for my sites produced by the WHM backup feature and stored offsite.

I'd like to take account XYZ on server s1.example.com and produce an older version of it from backup on s2.example.com.

It seems as if I can transfer the account (done this often) or restore a backup - but how to I restore a backup on a second server and keep both sites up (obviously with different "A" records?

Thank you,
ljj

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! There isn't a great way to do this work on a cPanel system. When people have wanted to clone an account I've recommended the following in the past, although there is a tiny bit of downtime:

-Edit the live account to change the domain and username
-Restore the backup, essentially recreating the original account

However, this wouldn't work if you want to restore the backup in an older state. I mean, it would, but then you'd have to undo your changes to the original account when your testing is done.

It might be easiest to create a separate test server to perform this work. If the IP hasn't been licensed in the past it will get a 15-day trial license.

ljj3

Nov 7, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Reseller Owner
Thank you for this idea - actually this might work... The site was modified as per client request 2 weeks ago - today they said ooops the edits were never approved by their client please restore our old site but leave the new one accessible to review.

So I could make the live site xyz.myhosting.com and restore the older backup and make it live xyz.com.

Then finish the new site - rename it - and abandon the restored backup.

Does this make sense?

Reactions: cPRex