The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cloning server software for off-site testing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lblanchardiii, Jun 19, 2014.

1. lblanchardiii

lblanchardiii Well-Known Member

What are the protocols for running a cPanel/WHM clone of my server on a server that is not live? I'd like to test out some new modules on the server, but I'd rather not do this with the live server. Since I have WHM/cPanel installed on the box I would ideally like to clone that.

The thing is I do not want to have to pay for another license. Even though the box/server wont be live online. It's only for testing before I put it on the live box.

What can I do in this situation?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You might be able to obtain a temporary trial license, but I don't believe you will be able to have a permanent free license for that situation. You can submit a ticket to our CS department for clarification on that, or any additional license questions.

As far as cloning a server configuration, that's not possible at this time, but please vote for the following feature requests:

Clone a cPanel server configuration to a new server (excluding server specific items) | cPanel Feature Requests

The request actually lists what to copy, and some of the limited options available at this point in time.

Thank you.

3. lblanchardiii

lblanchardiii Well-Known Member

The trail license doesn't need to be permanent as the test server wont be operational 24/7. Only when I have something new that I want to roll out on it so that I can test it. Though most things that I test I can test on the live server since it doesn't effect the server itself, only the site.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Our CS team will be able to clarify and answer any license questions you might have. Feel free to open a ticket with them for assistance with those questions. Or, you can contact cs[@]cpanel.net directly via email.

Thank you.