The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Closing Ports

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mickalo, Mar 10, 2006.

1. mickalo

mickalo Well-Known Member

Hello,

we have client on our server that needs to have two ports closed for a security scan performed by a SecurityMetrics for their payment gateway process. The 2 ports are 32768 and 32770 which are not open in our APF firewall, those ports are not included in any ports to be used. I'm not real sure what these ports would be used for, but have been advised they are used for running a statd RPC service and a fam RPC service respectively, which I am not fimilar with.

Was hoping someone could give me some insight on want these ports are used for and how to close them, either by the firewall or other means.

TIA,

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

The problem with such scanners is that they can get things wrong. Ephemeral ports (those higher than 1024) are not reserved for anything. It's quite possible that a simple FTP connection could be open on such a port. You can foind out what processes are bound to what ports busing:

netstat -lpn

3. mickalo

mickalo Well-Known Member

thanks, this is what I figured. and we have resolved this issue with the customer.

thx's
    Mickalo