The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Closing the mail server

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by riostyles, Jan 22, 2006.

1. riostyles

riostyles Member

Hello,
    Moving some sites from cPanel to another cPanel same build/release,
    After moving the E-mails I would like to close the mail server (incoming) without root access. Then I swich the NS1.xxxx.com etc.
    Do a "Suspend account" will do this?
    Or, some MX tweak

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Not too clear on what you want to achieve. Do you want to prevent relaying into the server or out of it? If it's for incoming email, if you remove domains from /etc/localdomains and put them in /etc/remotedomains the server will reject email for those domains. If outgoing, then the simplest way would be to restrict access to port 25 outgoing TCP to the root UID only in iptables.

3. Jimmyftw

Jimmyftw Active Member

Typically I believe the best option is to point the MX record to the IP of your new mail server, where you're moving the accounts. This way while the DNS records are propogating, any mail hitting the old server should be sent along to the new one so the accounts don't miss any mail.

4. riostyles

riostyles Member

Thank you for your answers,
    Yes it is for to not receive the incoming mails for the specified accounts during the DNS propagation and do not have incoming mails in the precedent server after (In fact before) the final backup.
    Was in the MX but it seems that only domain names can be set, not IPs. Perhaps if I leave it blank ... will try, will also try to suspend one account and come back after.
    It is not for do not to do my job, the problem is that the mail servers/systems hold the undelivered mails for 5 days, some without feedback so the "Blind" test is not easy.