Cloud Server Recommendations - how do I find a reliable provider?

Feb 24, 2019
London
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi,

I’ve been using a well known company for my Cloud Server since 2017 but the server downtime is becoming ridiculous. It seems that at least once every month they’re “experiencing technical difficulties” and the server is down.

it might be for 10 minutes in the middle of the day, but I have had the server down for most of the UK night. Is this normal? Would I experience these frequent bouts of downtime with ANY provider?

I just have one Cloud Server for a very busy website, so I’m not reselling and don’t have multiple websites hosted on it. I just don’t want to go to the rigmarole of changing providers if I’m going to experience the same with them, too.

Any advice would be gratefully received!

ZenHostingTravis

PartnerNOC
May 22, 2020
Australia
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi @TwilightZoneCP,

That's no good. It sounds like the downtime is happening too often so it is time to move your services to a different provider.

You shouldn't worry too much about the difficulty of the migration because the host that you migrate to can aid you and guide you through the process.

Just a note of caution. Beware of providers using the word cloud in their marketing material when their infrastructure doesn't actually provide any more reliability than a provider who is advertising VPS hosting.

Write to your preferred providers and see how they handle your sales query. That is usually a good indication re the type of support they will provide to you.

Hope that helps!

cPanelLauren

Technical Support Community Manager
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
I would agree that the use of the term cloud is not a gauge of reliability but I wouldn't agree that the use of the term is something to be cautious of. It's a widely used term when discussing virtualized environments, and one that most people understand.

Write to your preferred providers and see how they handle your sales query. That is usually a good indication re the type of support they will provide to you.
This I think is fantastic advice and ask them questions in regard to their migration services when moving to their offerings may be a good determining factor as well.

ZenHostingTravis

PartnerNOC
May 22, 2020
Australia
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I would agree that the use of the term cloud is not a gauge of reliability but I wouldn't agree that the use of the term is something to be cautious of. It's a widely used term when discussing virtualized environments, and one that most people understand.

This I think is fantastic advice and ask them questions in regard to their migration services when moving to their offerings may be a good determining factor as well.
Thanks @cPanelLauren :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: cPanelLauren

schmeckles23

Registered
Jul 16, 2020
Leicester
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Check out Hetzner, I have been with their cloud platform for almost two years now and experienced zero downtime and prices are competitive. You have the option to choose more cores and cheaper if its shared CPU or if you need dedicated resourced you can opt for dedicated CPU.

You can have multiple snapshots which are automated and cheap too, they work as I have tested them many times when replicating a server.

Feb 24, 2019
London
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Great advice, thank you everyone. The server is currently down again as I type, so I think I have to move on now.

The company is LCN.com. I’ve used them for years without issue and their customer support is excellent. But the frequency at which the website is down and inaccessible by paying customers is unacceptable now.