CloudLinux VM with multiple FO IPs on top of Proxmox (OVH)

Bretas

PartnerNOC
Jun 10, 2018
Brazil
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hy there!

I'm trying to get multiple FailOver IPs working on this cPanel (CloudLinux 7) VM. It runs on top of Proxmox on a dedicated server with OVH.

Ideally I would use one Macvtap device and have all of the five IPs we need served from a single public interface. However, until I figure out how to set it up from Proxmox, I'm trying to use multiple interfaces as a workaround. This VM will be put into production later today.

Code:
$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1

DEFROUTE="no"
BOOTPROTO="static"
IPV6INIT="no"
NAME="eth1"
DEVICE="eth1"
ONBOOT="yes"
IPADDR="51.81.110.XXX"       # Last octet redacted
GATEWAY="147.135.70.254"
NETMASK="255.255.255.255"
NM_CONTROLLED=no
This is partially working. By pinging eth1's IP from the internet while watching this interface, I can see traffic coming in but nothing coming out. Pinging from the VM bound to the eth1 interface yields 100% packet loss, mtr shows eth1 can't even reach its own gateway. Eth0 in the other hand works fine in both directions, and it also uses a FailOver IP, there's nothing special about it other than the fact that it is the primary network interface (and default route).

I also tried replacing the gateway with the dedicated server's main IP gateway address (IP + 254) combination to no avail.

The vMAC is properly configured in both virtual network interfaces attached to the VM, so much so that I got to run both test IPs in two distinct network interfaces attached to a Xubuntu VM, all I had to do was copy the vMACs and manually configure the prefix /32 and gateway (by replacing the FailOver IP's last octet with 254). I'm not sure why this cPanel/CloudLinux instance is restricting eth1's outbound traffic. CSF is stopped by the way, we have no ICMP restriction in place.

Given how widespread the OVH bare metal and Proxmox duo is, I assume someone here knows what's up.

Any assistance on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

cPanelLauren

Technical Support Community Manager
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hello,

While any member of the community is free to assist you with this, this is beyond the scope of what cPanel is able to provide assistance with and I would recommend you work with your system administrator to ensure the integrity of your system. If you do not have a system administrator, you may be able to find assistance at System Administration Services.