The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cluster cPanel/DNS ONLY/WebMin

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by TNiSolutions, Nov 20, 2011.

1. TNiSolutions

TNiSolutions Well-Known Member

Is it possible to cluster a cPanel or cPanel DNS Only server with a webmin server without having to do anything at named/CLI level?

I was thinking of installing Webmin and DNS Only on the one server (I only need to host one site on the server) - but would that work? Meaning the DNS entries that are synced into named - will they be available in Webmin too? Or does Webmin use a different directory for named or something like that?

Thanks for your help :D

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

cPanel DNS-Only is not compatible with other control panel software applications. Per our documentation, cPanel DNS ONLY should only be installed on dedicated physical nameservers with no previous content on them. Clustering a cPanel or cPanel DNS-Only server with a non-cPanel server is not supported at this time. However, there is expanded functionality in this regard, as mentioned here:

cPanel Expands Its DNS Cluster Functionality With SoftLayer and VPS.NET - cPanel Inc.

Thank you.

3. nibb

nibb Well-Known Member

I was also interested in this, and this is the biggest reason why im dropping cPanel DNS only products.

Webmin does not modify any structure or data at all, it just reads what ever is on the servers, in this case it does not modify or alter absolutely anything as its just a visual GUI as far as I know, to the point that Bind developers recommended Webmin to manage Bind DNS in case you need a web or visual GUI.

The problem is cPanel. cPanel DNS only does modify and add their own data and configuration, and this is the biggest reason why it probably will not work without requiring changes.

I find this completely awkward to say at least from cPanel because this means you cannot mix other Bind DNS servers you have. If you could use cPanel DNS with any other Bind servers, more people would install cPanel DNS only because of the web GUI as it would not hurt at all, then this would upsell them eventually to cPanel because they would like the product. Other users that run standalone BIND servers or use Webmin or what ever other way they prefer to manage their DNS servers would also deploy cPanel DNS to their mix for their cPanel Hosting servers.

I had this problem, and basically I need to separate the DNS servers that use cPanel for everything else, and guess who wins? Everything else! Since I end up with cPanel DNS only servers only for cPanel hosting servers, which do not even work for their Windows cPanel version, so for any company the question is, is it really cost wise to maintain servers just for cPanel DNS servers? No.

Since cPanel will not play nice with Bind and add their own config and stuff to the mix this means they are not inter operable. I understand this for cPanel hosting servers where they already modify things to the point its not worth anymore if you don't want cPanel anymore on the machine, but DNS is different. Providers need to share and use their DNS servers for all their services, domains, hosting in Linux and Windows, VPS, Servers, etc, this means they cannot have some cluster for Windows hosting, another one for Linux, another one just for cPanel, etc.

cPanel team should really decide to not touch Bind in any way that would interfere with other systems and softwares. This way users would actually start to use cPanel DNS Only as its free and would not mess with their current setups.

Just my 2 cents from someone dropping cPanel DNS servers because of the same reason the OP asked here.