The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cluster DNS and root access question

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by openmind, Sep 9, 2010.

1. openmind

openmind Member

We have a four server DNS cluster setup to support all our cPanel boxes. Now I would like to be able to offer VPS server owners who run cPanel the ability to use our cluster.

Obviously they would have root access but is it possible to set their account up in WHM with root access but not have access to all the DNS zones in the cluster?

I can set the reseller privileges to not allow access to the DNS cluster but I still want to be able to give them root SSH access to the VPS so can this be done?

TIA :)

#1 openmind, Sep 9, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  2. openmind

openmind Member

Just giving this a bump to see if the situation has changed. Is there a method yet of providing DNS services to unmanaged servers (be they dedicated or VPS) without exposing all DNS zones on a server and still giving the VPS/Dedicated owner root access to their own box?

3. oshs

oshs Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

If you add them to the DNS cluster they will be able to see all zones even if just synchronising changes - so this is a no go.

4. openmind

openmind Member

Thought as much, shame really as I would think offering clustered DNS to our VPS customers would be a big win...