The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cluster DNS

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by wififan, Dec 9, 2006.

1. wififan

wififan Member

Hello all,

I am not sure that I have this in the right area. But I have a up to date cpanel server that I would like to know if it is possible to cluster or at least mirror with a server that is not cpanel. What I am trying to accomplish is if cpanel server goes down I would like to be able to have a backup in place that will pickup the load with out having to purchase another cpanel server. If someone has done this or could point in a certian direction I would apperciate it.

Thanks in advance.
    WIFIFAN

2. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

So you are more worried about hardware failing than cpanel.

What most admins setup is either raid mirroring which is basically 2 drives in the
    same box. If the primary drive fails, the second drive will take over without missing
    a beat. I guess that is probably what you are after.

Outside of this, most admins that I know do not run raid configurations. They do
    however keep local and off site backups of their accounts and config files.

As for cpanel failing, this should not be much of a concern. The main thing is to
    search the forums and perform manual updates periodically and not auto updates.
    Many times I have seen bad updates from the auto updater that result in a box
    being down till the next morning when the admin is available.

So, update manually and watch that everything is working fine. Prior to any update,
    do scan the forums for any known problems. It may be best to delay an update
    for a couple days instead of running into major trouble.

Just my opinion which will vary from post to post.