The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cluster problems

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by hostproof, Jan 16, 2007.

1. hostproof

hostproof Member

What I did on my 3 server cluster (identically configured):
    1. moved one account from server 3 (only account) to server 1
    2. removed server 3 from the cluster (trhough WHM) and then shut the server down
    3. added a new server 4 to the cluster (entered it to both servers, was listed correctly in cluster manager on all three servers)
    4. copied some accounts from server 1 to server 4

So far everything seemed to be ok, the moved accounts worked.
    But now sh*t hit the fan...

I had to move one account from server 1 to server 2. During account creation I had the following error:

Since then, I have mysterious problems. When I enter domainwithproblem.com in my browser, the domain works. When I enter adserver.domainwithproblem.com (the subdomain with the error) I get either "host not available" or a blank page (depending on browser). I took a look at httpd.conf and /var/named and the zone files, everything is correct!

Additionally, some customers on server 2 have mysterious problems that their pages do not load (on the same domain somedomain.com/page1 does work, somedomain.com/page2 doesn't work). Uh? What has this to do with DNS? Probably nothing.

Currently even adding any subdomain to domainwithproblem.com doesn't work. Nor does transfering the account back to server 1 where it previously was (same problem).

I tried everything I could think off, including recompiling Apache.

My server provider said he has submitted a ticket to Cpanel, but I havent heard anything since about two days from Cpanel....

Any guess? Any help greatly appreciated!

#1 hostproof, Jan 16, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2007
  2. freedman

freedman Well-Known Member

check here: http://bugzilla.cpanel.net/show_bug.cgi?id=4665
    that's partially related.. HOWEVER...

Your situation just cannot work with current CPanel DNS Clustering.

when you do a MOVE account, cpanel does the following:
    1) Backup account on host 1
    2) restore account on host 2
    3) delete acount on host 1

Now, the problems are as follows:
    if host 2 is in the same DNS cluster as host 1, then the restore fails since it thinks the domain is already being managed, which it is.
    if it partially restores, then you have an odd situation where some hosts in the dns cluster are pointing to host 1 and others are pointing to host 2 which would cause your 'page1 works page2 doesnt'. in this case IM GUESSING, they're getting dns pointing to one server for when they request page 1, then their OS is doing another dns lookup which is giving them the old IP when looking for page 2. I'd guess this would appear totally random to them.

you'll have to check your /var/named files on all machines and see which ones are wrong.

So, the "MOVE ACCOUNT" only works if you move an acount from a host in one DNS cluster to a host in A DIFFERENT dns cluster.
    OR
    Backup the host.. delete from host 1, then restore to host 2.
    this way the dns for the host is removed so that when the restore happens it doesn't block at the DNS creation.

Id argue that this is a bug in the move/restore process, but I can see how it might not be a high priority for cpanel.

but.. I wouldn't wait for cpanel to take action.. I'd do the backup/delete/restore process manually just to get your sites back up and, in the future, be aware of the shortcomings in CPanel's move process.

also, check bugzilla for other cpmove related bugs and vote/comment on them.

3. hostproof

hostproof Member

Strange - not in my experience...
    The account is not deleted, I have to delete it manually and say "keep DNS"...

4. freedman

freedman Well-Known Member

that's because it's failing at step 2, so it doesn't go on.

you have to keep dns because step 2 is getting 1/2 done which is why it's acting weird.