The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cluster

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by mobilereal, Feb 5, 2007.

1. mobilereal

mobilereal Registered

Please help us with the following:

We have a customer that has a Cpanel Server and a DataBase server, the DB server does not have cpanel installed.

We want to get 2 new servers at another Data Center and keep a constant backup of everything on both servers and have fail over servers in case of power issues or provider issues. We are going to have dyamic dns in place, we just need suggestions on how to accomplish the redundancy issue

2. freedman

freedman Well-Known Member

I'll be posting a more detailed answer in a couple weeks (after I re-test and document the process fully) in this thread: http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=34925

however, you'll have to solve the following issues:
    1) you'll need concurrent replication on the databases (MySQL Replication or MySQL Cluster are your options.. choose what best suits your situation)
    2) you'll need to keep the filesystem data on both servers in sync. This is a much harder problem to solve, there are MANY, MANY, different options all of which match different sets of critera -- I'd look into "Unison" if you dont need real-time syncing, otherwise, look into a linux cluster solution or a grid filesystem option.
    3) you'll want to make sure the local web/file servers prefer the local DB server--you dont want the webserver in location A, constantly accessing the DB server in Location B, BUT you may (or may not) want it to access location B if and only if the one in location A is down--alternatively, you may want the fileserver in location A to act as though it's down if it can't access it's local DB server.

there's no real answer and I doubt anyone could give you a useful blueprint without knowing more about your business need, but if you can address the above issues, then you're solution will fall into place.