The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clustered cPanel

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by proc, Aug 10, 2012.

1. proc

proc Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Dear fellow cPanel system administrators,

After a few months of testing I can finally say that I have successfully clustered cPanel.

The setup includes two load-balancers and two web-hosting nodes. The load-balancers act as shared storage for the web-hosting nodes as well, although a SAN can be used as shared storage as well.

I am using HAproxy as the incoming HTTP/HTTPS/FTP/MAIL load-balancer software. The shared storage filesystem is OCFS2 (Orace Cluster Filsystem).
    To ensure high-availability on the load-balancer frontend, I am using DRBD to replicate the block device over network, to the second load-balancer node. The load-balancer setup is in a active/passive failover mode.
    If the active load-balancer fails, the passive load-balancer will automatically take over, without the need for any manual intervention.

cPanel is configured to use remote MySQL, which is located on the load-balancer.

The two web hosting cPanel nodes uses the shared storage from the load-balancer, to store the users home directories on, as well as the cpanel configuration files.

The WHM panel is load-balanced as well.
    All this is done without any hacking to the cPanel code.

I am using XEN as the virtualization infrastructure.
    The setup can easily be extended with more web hosting nodes, and even load-balancers.

I am writing this because I want to share this solution with those of you that are interested. For a fee I will help with the installation and maintenance.

To recap, I am using four XEN virtual machines, with the following software:
    * Load-balancer software: HAProxy
    * Cluster filesystem: OCFS2 (Oracle Cluster Filesystem)
    * Block mirroring: DRBD
    * High availability: Heartbeat
    * Web hosting software: cPanel, with LiteSpeed as web server.

Thanks for reading.

#1 proc, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

If you are charging for services, you'd want to post for inclusion into our catalog as we don't provide a means via the forum to sell services outside the catalog for system administration or development.
    \
    Here's the place you can post to ask for inclusion on the catalog:

Submit Listing | cPanel App Catalog

Here's the location the posting would occur if it's approved:

Sys Admin Services | cPanel App Catalog

Thanks!

3. Gaje

Gaje Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Can you supply your email address so i can email you as i have an interest in this project!

4. cloud9it

cloud9it Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Sounds good, but how does this configuration handle sites with dedicated IPs? As we were once looking at the possibility of using a load balancer to help achieve this, we were stuck on how to handle different IPs.