The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clustering Advice

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by deathy, Sep 26, 2016.

1. deathy

deathy Active Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Hi All,

Just want to know the best way to configure each server for clustering.

We have 3 severs that we want to cluster.

Server A - Main Server, with two Nameserver with unique IPv4 Address.
    Server B - Backup Server, with two Nameserver with unique IPv4 Address.
    Server C - VPS Server for 1 Domain, with two Nameserver with unique IPv4 Address.

So if i cluster them what is the best way to do this, how should i name all the nameservers and i assume i just add all the nameservers to the domain ?

Also is it possible if say the main server goes down, it could display a page ? or change the server ip so i can point to another server to show page?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

It's not advised to cluster separate hosting servers to each other. Instead, you should consider setting up one or two servers for DNS purposes only. The following document includes recommendations:

Guide to DNS Cluster Configurations - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Regarding your last question, you could update the "A" records for your domain names on the DNS server to point to another server, however there are no features that handle this step automatically. There's a feature request open for this at:

Active-Active Redundancy or High-availability

Thank you.