The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clustering / Backup Servers

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Glexia, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Glexia

Glexia Member

Hello,

First I want to thank any of you who take the time to give good intelligent responses to this topic.

My questions are as follow:

1) What does clustering let you do (more detailed than just syncing DNS servers) - Why would you want to cluster, specifics please.

2) How would you create a "backup" web server? I'm new to this web server thing and wanted to know how you create a backup web server that syncs with your primary server, or maybe not even a backup but is it possible to have two servers and have the DNS act in a round-robin fashion?

Thanks again in advance,

Any advanced users please feel free to aim me on Glexia MikeW I'm looking for someone who has had experience doing all of this to help me out.

Thanks,

Mike

2. FatalSw1tch

FatalSw1tch Member

Well my option that I'm going to do is have two servers and set up an Rsync type of service to mirror the accounts. This along with a DNS cluster will be what im going to use. Requires two cpanel licences though :-\

3. Glexia

Glexia Member

Servers

So if one server goes down it automatically uses the other?

Also, dosen't this use alot of bandwith?

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

There's a hardware solution that has been posted if you do a search for having redundant servers, but it will cost a lot of money to implement (1000's of dollars). Other than that, you could use rsync, but that won't be of use if you use MySQL databases (which you could offload to a 3rd server I guess). But it's going to take a lot of time and a lot of scripting to achieve.

The cPanel DNS Clustering is purely for synchronizing DNS zones between 2 or more servers so that you can have separate nameservers with the same zone file content. It's more effective than the traditional master/slave relationship as you don't have to maintain the secondary zone file entries manually.

Apparently, cPanel are looking into OS cluster support for cPanel, but there're no details that I have seen about that. You'd have to contact them directly.