The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

clustering help

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by phantom2, Mar 15, 2004.

1. phantom2

phantom2 Well-Known Member

Hi,
    We are getting errors every time someone wants to addon a new domain saying that we need to have clustering manage our DNS.

Before we do this, I just want to make sure we understand everything before we attempt this.

Right now, we have one master name server with our main site being hosted on it and we have 4 other servers for virtual accounts.

Each of these 4 servers is using the trust key relationship with the master name server and we are also are running a name server on each of these servers for redundancy. So if the master server goes down, each of the other 4 servers have their own name server.

Now we have to do the clustering thing. We are buying 2 1U's from Dell for DNS but that might take 30 days.

What should we do now.

We have 1 master name server with our main site on it and 4 slave servers with 1 name server on each one.

Here's my questions.

1. How should we set up the clustering for now until our 2 Dell's come in?

2. Do we terminate the trust key relationship on our slave servers?

3. Do we unslave our slave servers?

4. Right now, we have ns1 and ns2 on our master name server. Once the 2 new dells come in, we want to use both of them just for DNS. We will move ns1 to one of them and ns2 to the other. My question is, do all of the domains on the slave machines switch their name servers to ns1 and ns2? Even now since ns1 and ns2 are on the same server?

5. Wll I need to modify the zone files by hand to reflect the new name server changes to reflect question number 4?

Thank you for your time on this and we truely appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks!

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number: no one can addon subomains...

2. phantom2

phantom2 Well-Known Member

can anybody help me with this particular situation?

Thanks