The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

clustering questions

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by phantom, Sep 5, 2003.

1. phantom

phantom Well-Known Member

Hi everybody,
    I have a question about clustering. Correct me if I'm wrong...

"Clustering allows one to combine the resources of multiple servers allowing a server, that traditionally uses a lot of resources, to borrow the resources of another server within the cluster."

Is this correct? If so, can someone please post proven steps in setting up a cluster?

Thanks in advance!

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. jmorby

jmorby Registered

Hi

I'm not sure what the cPanel clustering options are going to provide ..

I'm hopeful however that it means I'll be able to configure a customer's web site and have it served from multiple web servers concurrently so if one server fails the others will still serve his content.

I presume they'll be syncing the home directories with rsync or similar automatically, perhaps with an "update cluster" button in the user's control panel so they can push out updates ahead of schedule if necessary.

I'd rather we had some form of "load balancing" rather than hot standby ....

That to me is how a cluster works anyway ...

I've read somewhere that it's just a merge of WHM's on multiple back ends .. but that's not really a cluster though

3. SigilStudios

SigilStudios Member

Does anyone have any other information on cpanels clustering feature. I have yet to try it because I find much documentation as to exactly what it does and how it works.

Thanks.