The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clustering? What do you do with all the old nameservers?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by mr.wonderful, Apr 19, 2004.

1. mr.wonderful

mr.wonderful BANNED

Many threads on setting up and configuring clustering but nobody has talked about how to migrate from the old DNS system to clustering.

I mean, we have 3 servers. All three are running their own dns

Server1 -: dns1 and dns2 400 sites
    Server2 -: dns3 and dns4 355 sites
    Server3 -: dns5 and dns6 400 sites

So the 6 million dollar question is how do we change over to clustersing if

1) 400 + 355 + 400 sites are running any one of the above nameservers.

2) How do you communicate to all your Resellers to change their sites nameservers to dns1 and dns2 so you can use clustering?

3) Is it possible to implament clusters while still running the above old DNS system to give everyone the chance to swith to dns1 and dns2? If no, how did thaphantom, who claims he has over 30 servers running cluster get all his sites to change over dns so seemlessly. Does this mean the moment we turn on clustering that all dns for the old dns setup will stop propogating? Seems pretty much impossible to do when you already have an established old dns setup already in place.

4) In order to just run dns1 and dns2 all our user and resellers and their clients need to change their dns entries at their registrars in order for their sites to use dns1 and dns2. How did everyone get this to happen????? Seems like a daunting task just to get 1000+ sites to get a clue and change their dns settings.

I would understand if you purchased two or more servers and setup clustering beforehand, prior to new sites being installed but i dont understand the best possible way to do this after the fact.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

#1 mr.wonderful, Apr 19, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2004
  2. perlchild

perlchild Well-Known Member

I think you both over, and under- estimate the work to be performed, because it depends on a few factors, factors which you don't detail in your question.

Is your nameserver cluster on the same network as the nameservers you had? If so, can you move the ips from the old nameservers to the machines in the cluster? The dns cluster in cpanel is just a replication mechanism, it doesn't do magic.
    If you're moving away from one network design, with three pairs of nameservers, to a single cluster, with only two servers, you better hope the new cluster is pretty hefty, as the resources required are non-trivial.

PM me if you'd like me to take a deeper look into this situation, in a professional capacity.

3. mr.wonderful

mr.wonderful BANNED

Re: Re: Clustering? What do you do with all the old nameservers?

Then im misunderstanding what the clustering feature does i guess. I thought that clustering allowed me to run two nameservers eg ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com across multiple servers. So users on Server 1, Server 2 and Server 3 could all use ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydom ain.com instead of having to create nameservers with different domain names on each server.

4. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The dns clustering just mirrors all of the dns data on the other machines. You can set it up so that a machine only sends, recieves, or sends and receives dns data. Perlchild was saying that with so many domains the resources taken up at significant, I have never run named with that many names so cannot say how that would work. However as far as the clustering, it just makes it so that you can have all nameservers contain all of the dns records.

5. mr.wonderful

mr.wonderful BANNED

When i wrote my origional message in this thread i think i asked the questions with great clarity.

Then perlchild responds with "it doesn't do magic". I never asked it to do magic. I asked the following questions because i wanted to find out how everyone had trasferred their existing client sites to use dns1 and dns2 instead of hosting different dns servers on each box after hosting dns the old way. Surely there must be somebody who has as many domains as i have and use 3 or more sets of dns nameservers.

Is there anyone who has the answers able to clarify my origional questions?

6. StevenC

StevenC Well-Known Member

I have all the answers however it will cost you 30 dollars a hour or 25 per 15 minutes msn support.

7. LP-Trel

LP-Trel Well-Known Member

I've got your answer right here.. in my pants!

#7 LP-Trel, Aug 13, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2004
  8. coolraul

coolraul Member

Well I am not an expert

So take this advice as you will.

It seems to me based on my limited experience with cpanel that all you need to do is to setup a cluster adding in all of the servers in a push pull relationship.

By doing this, all the servers have the capability to have all the zones on each server. Then just syncronize all zones to all servers in the dns settings.

I am sure others can see many holes in my suggestion. I just know that I have had different domains on 2 differnet servers and this got them in sync. I can't imagine that the number matters.

9. Fillos

Fillos Active Member

I am no expert either, and any suggestion I make should be tested before implementing them on a production server. I suspect that the answer has already been given to you judging from the date that this thread was last touched, but nonetheless, here is my 2 cents.
    It seems to me that the crux of the matter is that BIND is BIND is BIND. CPanel’s use of bind is not changing, just the method with which the zones get replicated. From what I know about BIND, your server will respond to DNS requests from any IP to which BIND is bound (pardon the pun). By default in CPanel, this is every IP bound to your server. That is to say, any IP on your server will respond to a port 53 DNS lookup request. You needn’t register the DNS server and its associate IP with your registrar in order for the name server to work. This is only necessary to assign it a SOA record for a TLD at the root servers, and (of course) to provide needed stability to the DNS structure on the Internet at large.
    So, in a nutshell, assuming all three of your servers will still have BIND running on them, and also assuming that your server’s IPs aren’t changing, your servers will continue to respond to DNS request for as long as your client’s clients request them. You can change the default name servers for your clients domain names, or not. You can decommission the name servers at glue, or not. As long as there is a DNS A record for your name server so that the clients know where they need to ask, your server will continue to respond to that request.

I hope that helps, and I hope I am right ^_^

Mike

10. mr.wonderful

mr.wonderful BANNED

Thats because your a man of few words and a man of few words other than using the 4 letter ones is a man who knows nothing!

11. mr.wonderful

mr.wonderful BANNED

I decided after reviewing the information that we should probably not implament this since nobody has really been able to give any definate answers. Thanks for your explanation.

12. Fillos

Fillos Active Member

For the record, I tested my theories at length last night, and my suspicions were correct. You do not need to glue the DNS information for the server to respond to requests. Your servers will continue to respond to your clients needs while you bring them online even if you enable clustering.
    Again, while I am reasonably sure of my words here, I assume no responsibility for the actions you take on your own servers. Although, if the CPanel warnings are correct, you will need to take the plunge at some point in the future.

13. gorilla

gorilla Well-Known Member