The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clustering

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by webignition, Apr 11, 2006.

1. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

The only clustering cPanel currently provides is the ability to run a DNS cluster and the option, I believe, of using remote MySQL server.

I understand that clustering is one of the focuses of development at the moment, although I wouldn't really expect it any time soon.

2. Leonardo Rodrig

Leonardo Rodrig Registered

And what...

Hello,

Maybe I used the wrong term... what about put parallel servers? Like:

1. When I send an e-mail to yahoo.com, it deliverers the e-mail to one of N servers;
    2. "google.com" access one of thousands of servers on it (without counting the DNS question...)

So, as I said, I´m newbie in it, but I think that we can put parallel servers with:

1. Apache;
    2. E-mail;
    3. Development (java/jsp, php, asp...);
    4. DNS (nameserves...);

Thanks for any light and if possible give me some page when I can know more about it (and how to do it).

3. Leonardo Rodrig

Leonardo Rodrig Registered

Hello,

I´m new with server configuration.

I would like to know more about clustering. Can you give me a brief about it and urls where I can have information? Does WHM do it well, or do I need to know commands to manage it well?

I intend to put more servers thant just one for a site, sharing mainly e-mail services.

Thank you!

4. Lord Merlin

Lord Merlin Member

Having setup a cluster on Suse + Linux heartbeat before this couldn't (shouldn't?) be too diffucult to accomplish. Though, I must say heartbeat is on the Linux OS level, not on the cPanel level. BUT, how about it being an option in cPanel as well? Heartbeat works very neatly webmin.

The only problem (not necessarely though) is with the bandwidth / internet. If you run a cluster, both nodes need to be in sync (well, most of the time) for it to be effective. And I think, well this may just be me, but one is more likely to run a cluster for uptime, than for sharing resources.

That said, what are the options of setting up a cluster? Let's say I have two VPS' account, with two seperate providers, both with 10GB space and 200GB bandwidth, what would the process be to setup a cluster between the two?