Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

CMS can't create htaccess file

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Visualtribe, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Visualtribe

Visualtribe Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I have an issue with Cpanel protected directory issue and am wondering if someone can answer this. I have a Cpanel system with Godaddy. I am running Joomla for CMS. In Joomla I have a component that makes an htaccess and passwd file. At one time this worked and got the login panel from Apache to get to my directory. I had to recreate the file with new password and now it runs to a white page with no login. I deleted that file and recreated it using the Cpanel system. The same issue arose. No login. White page. I contacted Godaddy and they blamed Joomla even for the Cpanel alone creation.

I then did a test. I created a folder and put an index.html file in it and put some text on the page so if I got to the page it would work. I created the password file through Cpanel and it didn't come up with the login panel and showed a white page proving that the cpanel isn't working with the Apache system.

A higher tech support person made their own file and that worked but hand coded the file. When I compare the Joomla component file to the cpanel created file to the now hand coded file, they are all different. The Joomla and cpanel code is similar, where the hand coded file is really old school. The thing is at one time my Joomla file worked. Does anyone know what Godaddy has done to the Apache system whereby the Joomla and Cpanel creation file does not work?

2. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @Visualtribe

This question sounds like one that should be asked to GoDaddy support, especially if there's an issue with your system that is preventing it from functioning normally.

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Visualtribe

Visualtribe Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I did, but they basically blamed Joomla, but I explained to them that if I can make a directory that has nothing to do with Joomla; and Cpanel still fails to create a protected environment file that functions on their system; then the issue is the Cpanel creation of the .htaccess. They couldn't process this because their tech people even higher ups aren't qualified to be IT people, and are told the lie and blame everything on other things except them. So I came here to see if the makers of Cpanel knew what setup on their systems would cause this. Godaddy must be paying you a certain amount of money every year to run Cpanel, correct?

4. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @Visualtribe

I am not aware of any configuration a separate company does to cPanel servers to cause this behavior. If you'd like for us to investigate further though please open a ticket using the link in my signature? Once open please reply with the Ticket ID here so that we can update this thread with the resolution once the ticket is resolved.

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...