Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

SOLVED CNAME and Office365 domainkey

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by fingerprn, Aug 27, 2018.

1. fingerprn

fingerprn Active Member

I'm trying to set up domainkey entries for my client who uses Office365. The Microsoft tech told me to add the following...

Host name: selector1._domainkey.example.com
    Points to: selector1-example-com._domainkey.example.onmicrosoft.com
    TTL: 3600

Note: I replaced domain name with 'example' and this is only one of two entries.

Based on previous entries, it seems like this should be entered like this in WHM (going left to right).

selector1._domainkey.example.com 3600 IN CNAME selector1-example-com._domainkey.example.onmicrosoft.com.

However, when I select the CNAME option, the field to the right has a field hint that says "Hostname" suggesting that I should flip how it's entered.

Which is correct?

2. fingerprn

fingerprn Active Member

For anyone else having the same problems setting up the Office 365 domainkey CNAME entry on WHM, I now have the answer...

1. Ignore the field placeholder that says "Hostname." I believe it should be changed to say "points to."

2. Take the domain name out of the host name. That doesn't seem to work with cPanel.

The end result will look like this example...

selector1._domainkey 3600 IN CNAME selector1-example-com._domainkey.example.onmicrosoft.com.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @fingerprn,

Thanks for sharing the outcome. We note "hostname" in the CNAME field to indicate that you should use a name-based record as the destination instead of an IP address.

Thank you.