Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

CNAME editing/setup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Silverado, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Silverado

Silverado Well-Known Member

I have a client using a "website builder"... the subdomain must be set up with a CNAME to the web site offering the software.
    The subdomain already has an "A" entry and my WHM is not letting me create a CNAME entry for this subdomain to point to the other server as required.
    This is the error message I receive:
    sitebuilder 14400 IN A domain.com.

near 'domain.com.': bad dotted quad 14400 IN A near '': bad dotted quad

Do I need to delete the "A" entries for this domain first before I change/create/edit the zones for the CNAME entry?

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Silverado

Silverado Well-Known Member

Just an update for anyone else that runs into this problem..... the "A" entries must be remove and ONLY a CNAME entry for
    subdomain and www.subdomain needs to be entered.
    I hope this helps someone in the future. It was exactly what we had to do for the subdomain to resolve to another server.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...