Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

CName forwarding not working as expected

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by ajoudanian, Jul 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. ajoudanian

ajoudanian Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi

I've added a new cName record via Zone Editor for blog.example.com. it submitted successfully and I can see it under Manage section. but when I open this URL, it doesn't serve my destination server and gives me default cPanel page! (destination server doesn't run cPanel at all).

Moreover when I check blog.example.com. in any DNS lookup tools, they couldn't find any record for this URL (see attached picture).

cpanel.png

#1 ajoudanian, Jul 13, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2019
    amitis likes this.
  2. thowden

thowden Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi

That sounds like the DNS is not correctly configured but without the domain name being provided your question is too vague for anyone to check, test or advise.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ajoudanian

ajoudanian Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Domain is test.example.com

#3 ajoudanian, Jul 14, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2019
  4. thowden

thowden Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi

test.example.com is a hostname.

If you check the domain portion of that address, i.e. example.com which is the domain name, the domain is currently expected to be found on ns1.example.net or ns2.example.net.

You can check this with DNSStuff DNS tools | Manage Monitor Analyze | DNSstuff

However, the domain is not found on those servers, which suggests that the configuration at the registrar for the example.com domain is incorrect.

So when you say you have added a DNS entry for a blog site, what server are you using to add that entry?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #4 thowden, Jul 14, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2019
  5. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I'd wager this is along the route that @thowden is going, it sounds like you might have added a CNAME but it makes no difference unless you're adding it where DNS for the domain is hosted. Furthermore, I can see that the domain in question has an A record attached to it which would indicate that the CNAME is not properly configured.