CNAME getting redirected to /cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello :)

Is "domain2.com" hosted on the same server? If so, is it's DNS handled on a remote server or is it handled locally?

Thank you.

AbbasCanada

Dec 28, 2015
Edmonton
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hello :)

Is "domain2.com" hosted on the same server? If so, is it's DNS handled on a remote server or is it handled locally?

Thank you.
domain2.com is not hosted anywhere. I have created the CNAME with my registrar (name.com) to point to "subdomain1.domain2.com"

sorry subdomain1.domain1.com

Last edited by a moderator:

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Are you able to add a CNAME record on another DNS server or on the cPanel server pointing to subdomain1.domain1.com to verify if the issue is with your domain registrar?

Thank you.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
I am able to add CNAME on another DNS server that points to cPanel server.
This suggests the issue is with the domain registrar. You may want to consult with their support team to verify their interface is allowing you to properly add the CNAME entry.

Thank you.

AbbasCanada

Dec 28, 2015
Edmonton
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
This suggests the issue is with the domain registrar. You may want to consult with their support team to verify their interface is allowing you to properly add the CNAME entry.

Thank you.
I created another CNAME subdomain3.domain2.com and pointed to a different server domain3.com (this is not cpanel server) and this setup works fine.

Infopro

May 20, 2003
Pennsylvania
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
Please help.
What is it, exactly, that you're trying to accomplish here? Your examples are getting a bit confusing to follow along with and so far it doesn't sound like an issue with your cPanel, as much as configuration of the domain at your registrar.

As cPanelMichael suggested, you might want to speak with your Domain Name Registrar about this. They do have docs you might find useful as well:
name.com/support/articles/206104227-Bare-CNAME-Records