Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

CNAME label too long problem

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by fingerprn, May 6, 2019.

Tags:
  1. fingerprn

fingerprn Active Member

I'm trying to create a CNAME entry like this (target URL has been modified for security)...

service 14400 IN CNAME docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FaipXlsdl_FfhroV0v8npnf4x_M6eqkb5j3hlgXytp2lt00Cs3x4dJa/viewform.

and I'm getting this error...

near 'docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1faipxlsdl_ffhrov0v8npnf4x_m6eqkb5j3hlgxytp2lt00cs3x4dja/viewform.': label too long

Obviously, the label isn't too long. I don't think the target is too long either. I also noticed that it took all of the uppercase letters in my target and switched them to lowercase. Maybe that is causing the error. If so, is there some way around this?

Thanks for any help on this!

P.S. Using BIND

2. fingerprn

fingerprn Active Member

Does anyone have any ideas about how to solve this problem? Anyone from cPanel out there?

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @fingerprn,

You have 79 characters between the periods (highlighted with bold text in the quote above). Bind only supports the use of 63 characters or less between separators such as periods. Are you able to utilize a shorter target record?

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. fingerprn

fingerprn Active Member

It can't be shortened. Plus, I expect that when the URL gets switched to all lowercase I'll get a 404 error. We've decided to take a different approach. Thank you for you help on this.