Wakie

Feb 15, 2008
Hi there,

I'm trying to point a domain (cname.com) to another domain (master.com).

When I try to access cname.com, I am presented with the standard cPanel 404 page.

Am I missing an obvious configuration setting somewhere?

Many thanks,
Wakie.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello :)

It's difficult to say without knowing the actual domain name. Could you clarify the exact method you used to add the CNAME entry? What shows up in the Apache error log?

If you have root access to the server, feel free to open a ticket if you would like for us to check further:

Submit A Ticket

Thank you.

Wakie

Feb 15, 2008
Hi Michael,

katie.domain1.com is a CNAME of domain2.com

katie.domain1.com/index.php returns 404 but domain2.com/index.php loads fine.

My DNS zone for domain1.com looks like this:
katie 14400 IN CNAME domain2.com.

Parking works fine, but it doesn't suit my application.

Thanks!

Last edited:

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
I see no issues with the configuration as you have described. Do you have root access to the server? If so, I suggest opening a support ticket so we can check further:

Submit A Ticket

Thank you.

Wakie

Feb 15, 2008
Unfortunately not. It may be a good idea to explain my application just in case what I want to achieve isn't possible anyway.

I want to host an application on a primary domain which is used by multiple resellers. A reseller's site will be something in the form of reseller.primarydomain.com.

The reseller will be able to BYO their own domain and CNAME it on top of reseller.primarydomain.com.

A PHP script will be able to associate the CNAME record with the reseller.primarydomain.com.

Is this far-fetched or is it remotely possible?

Cheers

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
I see no reason why you would not be able to achieve such a setup. I suggest contacting your web hosting provider to determine why the CNAME entry is not working properly.

Thank you.