The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ColdFusion MX

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wills, Sep 29, 2003.

1. wills

wills Well-Known Member

Anyone successful in installing ColdFusion MX with Apache? Does it have any issues with Cpanel?

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. wills

wills Well-Known Member

Thanks for the wonderful replies. I've installed CFMX on the server now :) I'm a freaking expert now! joke...

I only wished there was a way to include CFMX in Cpanel. One can dream :)

3. mjm

mjm BANNED

how many people really use coldfusion?

i have run into 1 person IRL who uses it. O N E !

4. wills

wills Well-Known Member

If you build it, they will come. Just within the last 4 days I've had 3 requests for CF. And that's when I didn't even have it... a good marketing campaign will get you enough clients to justify the costs...

Thanks.

5. irq13

irq13 Member

Would you mind posting how you got it to work?

I am having some seriose issues getting it to work on cpanel and they are of no help at all.

I can get it to work on every other linux server I have ever touched but cpanel wont work and they wont even begin to speculate as to why because "its a 3rd party app".

6. wills

wills Well-Known Member

Yeah. This is not for the faint hearted. Here is the link for the Macromedia Coldfusion forum:

http://webforums.macromedia.com/coldfusion/messageview.cfm?catid=10&threadid=383675

" 6.1 is free and you can use your 6.0 key. I'd install 6.1. The caveats of 1.3.28 still apply. The install won't handle it up front, you have to use 'built-in' and configure apache after.

Stephen"

So we have to use the built-in web server. And then, there is the lengthy threat post from Macromedia user group:

OK here goes. First, don't use the JRun technote, it's out of date.

This is something we've worked on long ago and resolved with the help of many customers.

Technote 18340 was our investigation of Apache 1.3 and 2.0 stability issues (including EAPI). Most of these have been resolved either by fixes in the CFMX 6.0 Updater 3 installer to correct incompatible settings in jrun.xml (if you upgrade - wsconfig.jar -upgrade -v) or with actual fixes in the connector source. 6.1 has all these fixes and more.

Whether you're on 6.0 Updater 3 or 6.1, source and instructions to compile a new Apache 1.3 connector are found in wsconfig.jar - the Web Server Configuration Tool
    You need to compile a connector if you get the EAPI warning in the error.log of Apache or when starting Apache 1.3.x. (this doesn't apply to 2.0 Apache)

I've also compiled an extensive Connector FAQ some time ago. It has additional information on Apache.

So, for those of you with this EAPI error, or with any derrivative of mod_SSL, you MUST compile a new connector. Please get to at least 6.0 Updater 3 or 6.1 even better.

6.0 Updater 3 correctly applies all the necessary settings in the jrun.xml mentioned in "18340". It wouldn't hurt to confirm these in case jrun.xml is not writable.

Instructions to build Apache 1.3 connectors from source

1) cd into the directory with wsconfig.jar
    cd /opt/coldfusionmx/runtime/lib

2) unzip the source and instructions from the wsconfig.jar
    unzip ./wsconfig.jar connectors/src/ApacheModule.zip

3) unzip ApacheModule.zip.
    read 'ApacheBuildInstructions.txt' and follow the instructions for building the connector from source using the apxs utility of Apache. (NOTE: The switches must be used exactly as shown)

When finished, you should have a mod_jrun.so you can use to replace the original one laid down by the connector installer (wsconfig.jar).

With CFMX 6.0 and Redhat 8 or 9, the connector installer will lay down a mod_jrun.so (which you later replace). We didn't do much checking of versions back then.

With CFMX 6.1, 1.3 really isn't supported out-of-the-box on RedHat 8 or 9 (even Stronghold 4 which is Apache 1.3 based is not supported by Redhat).

Also, a new CFMX 6.1 install WILL NOT ALLOW Apache 1.3 to be configured. It's expected to be configured only with 8.0 or 9.0 Redhat by default (either their 2.0.40 version or an apache.org 2.0.4x version). The installer is basically calling the connector installer under the covers)

However, you can configure the 1.3 connector - but only AFTER the main install is complete (which probably means using the built-in port 8500 web server just to finish the install).

Configuring 1.3 requires a special "force" switch when your OS is Redhat 8/9 or the connector installer (wsconfig.jar) will error out. This switch is only available from the command line so you must run the scripts (.sh) found in /opt/coldfusionmx/bin/connectors, not the GUI.

- Edit /opt/coldfusionmx/bin/connectors/apache_connector.sh.
    - include the correct locations for your Apache installation for -dir, -conf, etc and also a switch "-DWSConfig.redhat-release=7"

[path to java] -DWSConfig.redhat-release=7 -DTrace.ci=1 -jar [path to wsconfig.jar] [other arguments]

The connector scripts will create a directory /opt/coldfusionmx/runtime/lib/wsconfig/1 and files.

Notice there is a -Dtrace.ci=1 switch. In case you have any problems, view the wsconfig.log in /opt/coldfusionmx/runtime/lib/wsconfig/. The most common issues are firewalls (blocking port 2901 which the connector installer uses for the ColdFusion server "discovery") or permissions (can't write the directory or files)

- run the ./apache_connector.sh to install a 1.3 connector on RedHat 8/9.

You don't need to do any of this with Redhat 7.2 or 7.3.

7. irq13

irq13 Member

Thank you very much!

I will give this a shot this PM and see how it goes! :)

8. plaut

plaut Member

I use cold fusion and it would be great if there was a way to include CFMX in Cpanel.

9. wills

wills Well-Known Member

I've been asking for this a long time now. I gave up because most sub $5 hosting companies simply can't afford CF MX in their "garage" style hosting businesses... we're now trying to make a control panel for ColdFusion separate from Cpanel that will let our users do the most basic stuff (create datab sources, etc.)

Will