The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

combining 3 old servers into one new one

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by salvatore333, Jul 16, 2010.

1. salvatore333

salvatore333 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2003
    i have 3 servers which the customers from each use different nameservers. example:

company 1 customers nameservers:

company 2 customers nameservers:

company 3 customers nameservers:

now i want to combine all 3 of these servers into one new one.

question is, is it possible and please give me details how i would set it up. of course i have full control over all 3 domain names at the registrar end for the nameserver records so i can easily update the nameserver ip's. obviously i do not want the customers from each company having to do any nameserver changing for their individual domain names.

also since the new main server will be in one location i would also appreciate instructions how i can setup separate ip locations for secondary nameservers to avoid the below error message in my csf firewall:

At least one of the configured nameservers should be located in a topologically and geographically dispersed location on the Internet - See RFC 2182 (Section 3.1).

thanks very much on any advice you can offer me.
  2. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2003
    cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    1. set up a DNS cluster across all of your servers old,old,old, new & sync the zones the new server check the "When adding a new domain, if the domain is already registered, ignore the configured nameservers, and set the NS line to the authoritative (registered) ones." in tweak settings

3. check allow sharing name servers if you intend on using the same IP's for all the name severs in tweak settings

4. transfer all the accounts from the old servers to the new server

5. set your DNSat the registrar and wait for it to propagate

6. disable dns clustering on the new server

7. shut down old servers

8 done

Note: if your DNS is not geographically separated (running on a DNS server in a another location) you will have the error in CSF
    #2 dalem, Jul 20, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2010