The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comments in crontab disappear

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LGferion, May 31, 2008.

1. LGferion

LGferion Registered

I do not know for certain that cPanel/WHM is causing my current problem, but I believe that it may be associated.

I have a very long crontab file under my root user, and so have elected to add comment blocks to seperate critical features to better organize myself. I also occasionally comment out lines, rather than remove them completely, that I do not want to execute for one reason or another.

On my old server, which did not have cpanel/whm installed this worked perfectly. But now we have a new server with cpanel/whm installed, and it appears to cause the comment lines (including features I just wanted to temporarily disable) to completely disappear from crontab -l and -e. This does not happen immediately (ie I can do a crontab -e, add comments at will and install the file using vim...crontab -l shows my comments for at least 30 minutes afterward), but probably once a day, or perhaps when someone else (I'm not the only admin) accesses cron from within cpanel rather than via shell. So...what cPanel script (either cron based or webaccess based) ignores commented (#) lines and re-writes the rest to the crontab as root, blank lines included? How can this be fixed?

2. Chris B

Chris B Member

This line in /usr/local/cpanel/bin/edcron seems to be responsible for removing the comment:

Code:
    crontab=`crontab -l | grep -v "^#"`
    I'm not sure if that's the right script that's called in cPanel, or if edcron is called for other uses, but that might be a good place to begin your suspicions. Also, the above script only matches lines beginning with "#", so a workaround might be to use " #" as the comment. For example:

Code:
    # Upgrade cPanel <-- removed
    1 0 * * * /scripts/upcp
     # Backup cPanel <-- not removed, has a space in front of it
    0 1 * * * /scripts/cpbackup
    I haven't tried that with cPanel itself, but it's maybe worth a shot.

3. LGferion

LGferion Registered

modified

I've modified the line to not grep at all. I'll let you know how that goes for me. Thanks for your help!

#3 LGferion, Jun 4, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  4. LGferion

LGferion Registered

well... my solution doesn't work, because edcron re-installed its default conformation overnight, which then resulted in wiping the comments again from my tab. I'll try the " #" within my tab itself now, as originally suggested.

Although, what would happen if I chmod'd edcron to 555? could I chmod back to 755 if I wanted to edit it later?

5. LGferion

LGferion Registered

For future reference: the suggested method has been stable now for a couple of weeks.

Place a space before your #comments

6. forlinuxsupport

forlinuxsupport Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    thanks, I will try that.

this one has been bugging me for years !! :)