The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

comments on multiple ip setup (private and public), remote setup, staging, etc.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by seanstoner, Nov 2, 2004.

1. seanstoner

seanstoner Member

Nov 1, 2004
    I set up a test platform which I used to install WHM and cpnel for testing and evaluation. The server is on my private network (192.168.x.x/24, assigned by dhcp) and behind a firewall/router. It's a dual NIC system and the private IP is on eth0. After installing it and taking a look around, I wanted to actually create some real public test sites. So, I added a couple of public IPs in my subnet so I could test it on the public internet. WHM had a difficult time since it wanted to map everything to the private IP, which of course didn't do me any good. I went back to the server setup and modified the fields (main shared virtual host IP) to the first public IP. Everything seems to work ok now. What I would like to do is assign the private IP to eth1 and leave the public IPs on eth0. Any comments about this setup would be appreciated. If in the future I want to stage a box internally (using kickstart) and install cpanel/WHM and then roll it out to a public network, what is the best way to do this? I also had issues with the firewall install since I couldn't ssh or log into the box from another machine following the cpanel installation. I had to log into it physically and add an entry to iptables to enable this. This could pose a problem for rolling out boxes remotely. And then I suppose there's the issue of the cpanel license since cpanel only sees the box from the gateway's ipaddress while it's staged. This could cause a problem too. I appreciate any high level (or detailed) comments on all these issues.