The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Common Lisp

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by computica, Sep 8, 2009.

1. computica

computica Member

This is a fairly broad question, but I am looking for any information regarding getting Common Lisp up and running on our Cpanel/WHM server.

2. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

There is a language name I have not seen for a long, long time ...

Cpanel has no support for Lisp but I don't see any reason why you couldn't install it on the server directly since one has nothing to do with the other.

3. computica

computica Member

I honestly had never heard of it until a couple days ago, but now have a need for it on our server. My main issue is getting it up and running and integrated with Apache without breaking anything else in Cpanel/WHM.

I've found a few pages with information on integrating Lisp with Apache such as this one How to Configure Apache to Talk to Lisp but was curious to see if anyone else had experience with this on a Cpanel/WHM server specifically, as breaking our server for all of our clients would be a bad thing (maybe I'm just over thinking this and making an issue from nothing).

4. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

I have not setup a Cpanel server with Lisp as that was at it's prime many years before Cpanel existed but I see no reason why you should not be able to set that up and I don't think you really should have any "conflicts" to worry about as it's basically just an add-on language module really.

Where you might run into trouble is if you tried to integrate it into Cpanel and make some sort of auto-installer or option selection for enabling it directly from within Cpanel. However using it a Cpanel / Apache server, I don't forsee a problem doing that and should be fairly simple to setup.

Out of pure curiosity, what are you doing that involves Lisp? I work very heavily in artificial intelligence development myself which gets a more of a share of using that kind of thing than most and we don't use it anymore either.

5. computica

computica Member

Well I've got it up and running...kind of...but not really. At least it hasn't broken anything on the server.

I'm looking for a way to allow a customer to upload an image and add text to it, and then push it over into a shopping cart. Basically, allowing someone to send us a customized logo/image to be printed onto a product. I'm looking into a few options and the cheapest solution I've found runs on Lisp (roflbot - add text and captions to your pictures obviously not what I want to do with it, but the functionality is perfect). I can get the sourcecode for this particular script for a few hundred dollars, whereas any other solution I've looked into is much more expensive (flash, etc.). If I can get the output, I'm sure I could integrate it into something like OSCommerce pretty easily.

6. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

You're kidding right? This can be done easily with the built in GD2 functions in PHP in just a couple quick lines of script code and can be greatly extended with external tools like ImageMagick and NetPBM.

7. computica

computica Member

I'm sure it could, but unfortunately in my searches there wasn't a low cost solution out of the box that I could use for this, and my PHP knowledge is fairly basic. Do you have any suggestions on where to start with this? I've already gotten the LISP solution up and running ( and paid for ) but refinements to the system are definitely welcome as we're just getting the site off the ground.

I got LISP running on the server and the provider of the script included the rest of it (a hunchentoot web server which Apache tossed the LISP stuff to). It really was just a matter of installing the LISP backend and then using the pre-virtualhost include function to tell apache where to find the LISP server.

Thanks,

8. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

That is really a lousy solution! LMAO! :rolleyes:

I'm quite busy myself but if you get with me later, I can toss you a few examples and show some of the many free PHP scripts out there for doing exactly the same thing. ;)