The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compiling Apache / PHP / MySQL by hand?

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by f0urtyfive, Feb 26, 2005.

1. f0urtyfive

f0urtyfive Member

Will compiling by hand instead of using /scripts/easyapache have any effect on Cpanel working properly. For me easyapache never seems to compile right / with the options I want / restart httpd correctly.

2. DigitalN

DigitalN Well-Known Member

If you compile apache with the same options as cPanel does, then you shouldn't have any problems. The cPanel script generally works well for just apache installs without php, it just makes the install a no brainer and with frequent updates etc, I make full use of it.
    What kind of issues have you had with buildapache?

I wouldn't compile from source MySQL without removing the rpm's first.
    Good backups required there, again, if you run an rpm based OS, its better to just stick to the rpm releases for ongoing maintenance and upgrades etc. If you are going to compile from source, I'd still stick with rpm and make your own rpms of the installations, rather than compile from source and install directly that way, after all thats what rpm is for, package management.

3. StevenC

StevenC Well-Known Member

I recompile php from source alot. There are tons of functions that are commonly used that easyapache does not include.

4. DigitalN

DigitalN Well-Known Member

You don't have to install php with the buildapaches every time, just de select php when you run the buildapach.sea or easyapache.

php installs are done commonly by hand to include many things that aren't default installs with the php install with buildapache - but for installing apache only (not php as well) then the buildapache scripts do a good enough job and save a lot of hassle on upgrading/installing across multiple servers.

5. StevenC

StevenC Well-Known Member

Umm, what i was saying is... I compile from source because the functions i want are not in easy apache... Not that i just wanted to compile apache and not php

6. f0urtyfive

f0urtyfive Member

Often times when I would try easyapache it just doesnt compile right. They stick so many little patches in there that it breaks a lot. And then theirs the auto-restart. Whoever thought its a good idea to automatically restart a server when you dont even know if it compiled right or if your config files are right should be pushed off a bridge. I think EVERY time I've ran easyapache it downs my server when it trys to autorestart because something didnt go well.

7. f0urtyfive

f0urtyfive Member

Oh and I wanted to compile MySQL because you can get a nice stripped down version thats a good bit faster (15-30%).

8. Saeven

Saeven Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Twitter:
    I was interested in compiling mySQL from source as well. However this is a production server and don't want to take any chances. Whilst I'm not new to source compilation, I'm not sure how CPAnel does things; for example:

rpm -q mysql

Says that no RPMs are installed! Does the package have a different name?

9. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    rpm -qa |grep MySQL