The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compiling PHP Extensions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rwdcsi, Feb 18, 2003.

1. rwdcsi

rwdcsi Member

Need to add mhash support to php. Re-compiled php with the extension included. Re-started httpd, but support is still not available.

Are there file copies/moves that need to take place after the re-compile?

Any instructions on accomplishing this?

Any possibility of more extensions getting added to the buildapache script, PHP section?

I really need to get this support on our server very quickly.

Thanks,
    Ron D.

2. Sketch

Sketch Active Member

yeah I REALLy need to know how to modify the php build

3. ricoche

ricoche Well-Known Member

Does anybody have an answer for this? I'm also interested in adding a few extenstions, primarily the mbstring functions.

Perhaps using easyapache and selecting #5 will help, but as indicated above, this might not be the case.

Hmm. Not sure.

Thanks very much for anyone who could offer some insight into this.

Thanks,

Ric

4. rwdcsi

rwdcsi Member

I finally got the extensions in.

I downloaded, compiled and installed the mhash package in the buildapache directory.

I ran easyapache to get the latest stuff, used #5 to compile php with the options I needed, and were available, in #5.

I reconfigured php with the options from the easyapache run, adding the --with-mhash option to the configure command. Executed make, make check and make install. Re-started apache and all is well.

No clue why it didn't install the first time. Guessing that something was missing and the easyapache run installed it.

I think the mbstring extension was one of the options in #5.

Ron D.

5. ricoche

Thanks for the information. I'll have to give this a try.

I'm curious though, I ran easyapache #4 and everything I installed was great, however I just need to add the mbstring extentions. When running #5 do I have to re-check "GD", "Mcrypt", and "Freetype" again in #5? Also, would I need to check other things to match the #4 installation?

Finally, do I need to check the "suexec" if I choose #5? I thought I read something about this somewhere here.

Thanks to anyone who can help with this. Perhaps there are some docs around for this, but until I find them I suppose it's best to ask here.

Thanks again,

Ric

6. rwdcsi

rwdcsi Member

Anytime you run easyapache, you need to select all options you want for apache and php. It does not retain previous run parameters.

Since you have run easy apache, you could just go to the php directory and do a configure with all the options you want (again, all the options wanted), compile and install.

Not sure about the suexec question.

Ron D.

7. ricoche

Hello there,

Thanks very much for the informtation. I selected #5 in easyapache and found the mbstring extention. I selected this along with some other things and re-installed everything just fine. Now I'm set.

However I have one question about the php.ini file.

Where is this placed? I did a "locate" command and found many examples, but I can't seem to find the php.ini file with the added extentions. There are some variables that I need to change in the php.ini file for mbstring for example, but I can't find the php.ini file with the info. My phpinfo.php file however does show I'm running the extentions.

Is there something I'm missing here?

Thanks,

Jim