The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compiling the Kernel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mikerayner, Dec 4, 2002.

  1. mikerayner

    mikerayner Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2002
    Messages:
    192
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    One of my systems does not work with default redhat kernel, due to RAID and SMP

    I have to compile in the Kernel from source,
    what options should I select during Kernel configuration?
    also configuring GRsecurity patch from the source is necessary

    ITF please help ?
    anyone can help?
     
  2. mikerayner

    mikerayner Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2002
    Messages:
    192
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    anybody??

    ITF ???

    Please help
     
  3. Tim Greer

    Tim Greer Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2002
    Messages:
    62
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    6
    More information about your system is needed. What options/modules do you want/need? Do you want to enable loadable module support? Any other relevant information?
     
  4. mikerayner

    mikerayner Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2002
    Messages:
    192
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    [quote:cb3b18b4dc][i:cb3b18b4dc]Originally posted by Tim Greer[/i:cb3b18b4dc]

    More information about your system is needed. What options/modules do you want/need? Do you want to enable loadable module support? Any other relevant information?[/quote:cb3b18b4dc]

    I need something like what is offered by redhat as a kernel in binary but with GRsecurity and ctx patch
     
  5. Tim Greer

    Tim Greer Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2002
    Messages:
    62
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    6
    [quote:c2772f05dd][i:c2772f05dd]Originally posted by mikerayner[/i:c2772f05dd]

    [quote:c2772f05dd][i:c2772f05dd]Originally posted by Tim Greer[/i:c2772f05dd]

    More information about your system is needed. What options/modules do you want/need? Do you want to enable loadable module support? Any other relevant information?[/quote:c2772f05dd]

    I need something like what is offered by redhat as a kernel in binary but with GRsecurity and ctx patch[/quote:c2772f05dd]

    I'm not sure what to offer for an answer. It's just like any other kernel compile, except you apply the patch first. What specifically are you needing help with in the process of doing this compile?
     
  6. Dotcoms

    Dotcoms Active Member

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2001
    Messages:
    25
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Once you have untarred the kernel and downloaded the grsecurities patch (Example):-

    ln -s linux-2.4.20 linux
    patch -p0 & grsecurity-1.9.8-rc2-2.4.20.patch

    Type
    lspci

    Will tell you things about the current system (If required)

    Then type

    cd linux

    make menuconfig

    Select all the options required, you will see grsecurity near the bottom, select that and then choose the security level required.

    All the other options really depend upon what you need/want - Make sure to add ext3 file system support (Not slected by default) if you are running it.

    After selecting and saving all options:

    make dep;make bzImage;make modules;make modules_install

    Then to put the kernel into place (in /boot)

    cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/linux2420-grsec;cp System.map /boot/System.map-linux2420-grsec;cd /boot;rm -f System.map;ln -s System.map-linux2420-grsec System.map

    Then edit lilo or grub to reflect the new kernel location.

    This is an example - Modify to suit your needs.
     
  7. mikerayner

    mikerayner Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2002
    Messages:
    192
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    [quote:ba074a3db9][i:ba074a3db9]Originally posted by Dotcoms[/i:ba074a3db9]

    Once you have untarred the kernel and downloaded the grsecurities patch (Example):-

    ln -s linux-2.4.20 linux
    patch -p0 & grsecurity-1.9.8-rc2-2.4.20.patch

    Type
    lspci

    Will tell you things about the current system (If required)

    Then type

    cd linux

    make menuconfig

    Select all the options required, you will see grsecurity near the bottom, select that and then choose the security level required.

    All the other options really depend upon what you need/want - Make sure to add ext3 file system support (Not slected by default) if you are running it.

    After selecting and saving all options:

    make dep;make bzImage;make modules;make modules_install

    Then to put the kernel into place (in /boot)

    cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/linux2420-grsec;cp System.map /boot/System.map-linux2420-grsec;cd /boot;rm -f System.map;ln -s System.map-linux2420-grsec System.map

    Then edit lilo or grub to reflect the new kernel location.

    This is an example - Modify to suit your needs.[/quote:ba074a3db9]

    It seems that you didn't read my post carefully, I know all of these:
    after running

    make menuconfig

    moduls should be selected I don't know which one should be used, anyone knows what is the default in Redhat Binary Kernel?
     
  8. itf

    itf Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 9, 2002
    Messages:
    624
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    [quote:9f2e82f325][i:9f2e82f325]Originally posted by mikerayner[/i:9f2e82f325]

    One of my systems does not work with default redhat kernel, due to RAID and SMP

    I have to compile in the Kernel from source,
    what options should I select during Kernel configuration?
    also configuring GRsecurity patch from the source is necessary

    ITF please help ?
    anyone can help?[/quote:9f2e82f325]
    I’ve compiled in your requested kernel, just contact me directly and get your Kernel.



    P.S. Mike, please do not send 30 emails requesting a thing, I was very busy and had no time to come to the forum.
     
Loading...

Share This Page