Completely backup a server?

John_smith

Registered
Jun 11, 2019
Germany
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,
sorry for my question, but I am new in server administration and cpanel. And slightly overloaded...

I need help how to completely backup a server running with CENTOS + WHM/Cpanel so that I can quickly rebuild it in an emergency, for example the server gets hacked, and have to be switched of.

I imagine to restore the server then, with a previously created backup, after a new fresh and clean installation of CentosOS + Cpanel. After restore the backup, the server should work as before with all users, domains, settings, databases, system files etc., without having to restore all user backups individually taken with WHM "Back up User Accounts" and "Back up SQL Databases". And how can I reinstall all missing system files quickly and easily when I before "Back up System Files"?

Maybe I am too stupid, but for me it looks like, that with the Backup Restoration function in WHM this does not seem to be possible. How can I manage this? Do you can give me some hints for that? I am looking for an easy way to handle it.
Without a full backup and the knowledge how to restore it I will having sleepless nights....

Thank you very much for your support.

John

P.S. Sorry for my english

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hello @John_smith

It sounds like what you want ultimately is the ability to clone a server which we don't offer. Really the steps to backup are as follows:

1. Configure automatic backup including system files using the backup configuration interface - the documentation on this is here: Backup Configuration - Version 80 Documentation - cPanel Documentation

2. Store backups remotely in the event of an emergency where access to the server may not be available.

3. To restore

John_smith

Registered
Jun 11, 2019
Germany
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
@ cpanelLauren - Thanx for your fast answer.
1. If I understand you right, I have to restore every single cpanel account by itself.
2. How can I restore the "Back up System Files"? I found two folders (dirs + files) with lots of .gz files in the system backup folder. How can I restore them? The explanation about the cpconftool script I don't understand. Is it possible to restore all the gz files in one step?
3. Do you know a good and easy backup tool/plugin for WHM to clone all important server folders in one step? The that I can restore the whole server in one step?
Thank you for your help
Greetings
John

Reactions: H.Csaba

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
1. If I understand you right, I have to restore every single cpanel account by itself.
Without the ability to use the transfer tool you would need to do a restore this way, yes.

2. How can I restore the "Back up System Files"? I found two folders (dirs + files) with lots of .gz files in the system backup folder. How can I restore them? The explanation about the cpconftool script I don't understand. Is it possible to restore all the gz files in one step?
They're all named after what you're backing up:

Code:
[[email protected] system]# cd files/
[[email protected] files]# ls -lah
total 200K
drwx------ 2 root root 4.0K Jun  7 02:00 .
drwx--x--x 4 root root 4.0K Jun  7 02:00 ..
-rw------- 1 root root  15K Jun  4 14:57 _etc_apache2_conf_httpd.conf.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3.5K May 20 16:38 _etc_cpanel_exim_system_filter.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root root  606 Jun  4 03:25 _etc_dovecot_sni.conf.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  17K May 20 16:38 _etc_exim.conf.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  444 May 20 16:38 _etc_exim.conf.local.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  885 Jun  6 05:17 _etc_exim.conf.localopts.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  256 May 31 13:35 _etc_fstab.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   52 Apr 26 12:28 _etc_global_spamassassin_enable.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  819 May 16 10:14 _etc_group.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   48 Jun  4 14:54 _etc_ips.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root root  339 May 22 12:29 _etc_localdomains.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root root   33 Jun  6 05:17 _etc_mailips.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  452 Feb 21 16:26 _etc_my.cnf.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1.7K May 22 12:26 _etc_named.conf.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1.5K May 16 10:14 _etc_passwd.gz
-rw------- 1 root root  509 Jul  6  2018 _etc_pdns_dnssec.db.gz
-rw------- 1 root root 4.2K Jun  6 05:17 _etc_pure-ftpd.conf.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root root  170 May 31 13:35 _etc_quota.conf.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   93 May 21 10:23 _etc_remotedomains.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   43 Apr 24 16:41 _etc_reservedipreasons.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   37 Apr 24 16:41 _etc_reservedips.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root root   57 Dec 20 10:38 _etc_secondarymx.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root root   49 Jul  6  2018 _etc_senderverifybypasshosts.gz
-rw------- 1 root root 2.4K May 16 10:14 _etc_shadow.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root root   41 Jul  6  2018 _etc_spammeripblocks.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   34 Mar 17 12:58 _etc_spammers.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  246 May 17 10:09 _etc_wwwacct.conf.gz
-rw------- 1 root root   74 Jan 24 12:16 _root_.my.cnf.gz
-rw------- 1 root root  41K Jul  6  2018 _var_cpanel_greylist_greylist.sqlite.gz
-rw------- 1 root root  185 Jan 24 09:40 _var_cpanel_mysql_remote_profiles_profiles.json.gz
So if I want to restore my apache config i'm going to want to use this file:

Code:

3. Do you know a good and easy backup tool/plugin for WHM to clone all important server folders in one step? The that I can restore the whole server in one step?
You might look at JetBackup by JetApps who we recently partnered with: https://www.jetapps.com/ we offer JetBackup in the cPanel store, there are also a number of services like acronis or r1soft that will allow for barebones restorations as well.

John_smith

Registered
Jun 11, 2019
Germany
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Without the ability to use the transfer tool you would need to do a restore this way, yes.
^

They're all named after what you're backing up:

Code:
[[email protected] system]# cd files/
[[email protected] files]# ls -lah
total 200K
drwx------ 2 root root 4.0K Jun  7 02:00 .
-rw------- 1 root root  185 Jan 24 09:40 _var_cpanel_mysql_remote_profiles_profiles.json.gz
So if I want to restore my apache config i'm going to want to use this file:

Code:
O.K - but is there a possibility to restore all files at once - otherwise it will take sometime to do it step by step ??

You might look at JetBackup by JetApps who we recently partnered with: https://www.jetapps.com/ we offer JetBackup in the cPanel store, there are also a number of services like acronis or r1soft that will allow for barebones restorations as well.
With the transfer tool I also need to do a restore account by account, or is there a way to transfer all accounts at once?

Thanks for the tipp with jetapps - I will check it out

Thanx
John

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
With the transfer tool I also need to do a restore account by account, or is there a way to transfer all accounts at once?
The transfer tool would automatically perform the account by account transfer depending on the accounts you select to move