The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SOLVED Completely remove attracta.

Discussion in 'Workarounds and Optimization' started by Spork Schivago, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Spork Schivago

Spork Schivago Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

I'm trying to completely remove Attracta. I found a thread on this forum that shows how to do it by running /scripts/attracta/uninstall-attracta.

I ran that, but it gave some warnings and I don't think it properly uninstalled it. I run locate attracta and see a lot of stuff is still left:
    Code:
    /home/<myusername>/.attracta
    /home/<myusername>/.attracta/campaign
    /home/<myusername>/.attracta/user.config
    /home/<myusername>/.attracta/user.config.cache
    /usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend/paper_lantern/dynamicui/dynamicui_group_attracta_seo.conf
    /usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend/paper_lantern/styled/basic/icons/attracta_getingoogle.png
    /usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend/paper_lantern/styled/basic/icons/attracta_googlewebsiteservices.png
    /usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend/paper_lantern/styled/basic/icons/attracta_increasewebsitetraffic.png
    /usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend/paper_lantern/styled/basic/icons/attracta_linkbuilding.png
    /usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend/paper_lantern/styled/basic/icons/attracta_one-clicksitemap.png
    /usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend/paper_lantern/styled/basic/icons/attracta_rankingcheck.png
    /usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend/paper_lantern/styled/basic/icons/attracta_realreviews.png
    /usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend/paper_lantern/styled/basic/icons/attracta_seoforresellers.png
    /usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend/paper_lantern/styled/basic/icons/attracta_seotips.png
    /usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend/paper_lantern/styled/basic/icons/attracta_seotools.png
    /usr/local/cpanel/bin/attractaadmin.conf
    /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/uninstall-attracta
    /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/addonfeatures/attracta_getingoogle
    /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/addonfeatures/attracta_googlewebsiteservices
    /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/addonfeatures/attracta_increasewebsitetraffic
    /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/addonfeatures/attracta_linkbuilding
    /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/addonfeatures/attracta_one-clicksitemap
    /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/addonfeatures/attracta_rankingcheck
    /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/addonfeatures/attracta_realreviews
    /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/addonfeatures/attracta_seo
    /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/addonfeatures/attracta_seoforresellers
    /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/addonfeatures/attracta_seotips
    /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/addonfeatures/attracta_seotools
    /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/docroot/templates/software_components/attracta.tmpl
    /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/docroot/themes/x/icons/attracta.png
    /var/cpanel/configs.cache/_var_cpanel_apps_attractaseo-acv2-1.conf___default
    /var/cpanel/configs.cache/_var_cpanel_attracta_updates.config___default
    /var/cpanel/registered_cpanelplugins/attracta_getingoogle
    /var/cpanel/registered_cpanelplugins/attracta_googlewebsiteservices
    /var/cpanel/registered_cpanelplugins/attracta_increasewebsitetraffic
    /var/cpanel/registered_cpanelplugins/attracta_linkbuilding
    /var/cpanel/registered_cpanelplugins/attracta_one-clicksitemap
    /var/cpanel/registered_cpanelplugins/attracta_seo
    /var/cpanel/registered_cpanelplugins/attracta_seotips
    /var/cpanel/registered_cpanelplugins/attracta_seotools
    /var/cpanel/template_compiles/usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend/paper_lantern/attracta
    /var/cpanel/template_compiles/usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend/paper_lantern/attracta/templates
    /var/cpanel/template_compiles/usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend/paper_lantern/attracta/templates/api_down_local.tt
    /var/cpanel/template_compiles/usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend/paper_lantern/attracta/templates/cms_container_local.tt
    /var/cpanel/template_compiles/usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend/paper_lantern/attracta/templates/contact_support_local.tt
    /var/cpanel/template_compiles/usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend/paper_lantern/attracta/templates/disabled_local.tt
    /var/cpanel/template_compiles/usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend/paper_lantern/attracta/templates/login_local.tt
    /var/cpanel/template_compiles/usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend/paper_lantern/attracta/templates/register_local.tt
    /var/cpanel/template_compiles/usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend/paper_lantern/attracta/templates/sso_local.tt
    /var/cpanel/template_compiles/usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend/paper_lantern/attracta/templates/verify_error_local.tt
    /var/cpanel/template_compiles/usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend/paper_lantern/attracta/templates/verify_local.tt
    /var/cpanel/template_compiles/usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/docroot/templates/software_components/attracta.tmpl
    /var/cpanel/version/addons_update/whostmgr_attractaseo-acv2-1

I'm sure there's more attracta stuff left over that doesn't have the word attracta in the filename. When I ran the uninstall script, this was the messages it displayed:

Code:
    Uninstalling Attracta SEO Tools for cPanel Plugin
    warn [uninstall-attracta] Failed to distill Apache configuration Internal Message: Executed /usr/local/cpanel/bin/apache_conf_distiller --update --main Exit: 1 STDERR:  STDOUT: 
    WARNING: No "describe" pattern found in script. It is recommended to pass the "--manual" when providing hook descriptors on the command line.
    The "delete" management action requires that a module or script name is specified example:
        bin/manage_hooks del Module My::Module

Options can also be manually specified --category and --event are defined, example:
        bin/manage_hooks del script /var/MyApp/hooks/something.pl --category=Whostmgr --event= Accounts::Create --stage=pre

See --help for more information
    WARNING: No "describe" pattern found in script. It is recommended to pass the "--manual" when providing hook descriptors on the command line.
    The "delete" management action requires that a module or script name is specified example:
        bin/manage_hooks del Module My::Module

Options can also be manually specified --category and --event are defined, example:
        bin/manage_hooks del script /var/MyApp/hooks/something.pl --category=Whostmgr --event= Accounts::Create --stage=pre

See --help for more information
    Failed to remove file: /var/cpanel/apps/attractaseo-acv2.conf : No such file or directory
    attractaseo-acv2-1 unregistered
    Complete

The script deleted itself, but there's still a /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/uninstall-attracta script, which I cannot run now, because the first script (which I believe was just a symbolic link to this script) removed some of the attracta files that the script depended on.

Any suggestions on how to manually remove the stuff left behind? The hook stuff worries me a bit. Are the attracta hooks still in place?

I'm running EA4 so the /usr/local/cpanel/bin/apache_conf_distiller --update switch isn't supported. I don't want to just disable Attracta, I want it completely removed from my system. Even if that involves manually editing files and everything. Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I recommend reaching out to their support team directly for help with the uninstall process as a first step. There's a link to their support contact method on the following KB article:

Knowledge base | Attracta

Regarding hooks, you can utilize WHM >> Manage Hooks to review and delete any leftover Attracta hooks.

Thank you.

Spork Schivago likes this.
  3. Spork Schivago

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Okay, thank you.

I was thinking of just manually removing the hook and deleting the various Attracta files that are on the system cPanelMichael. Does cPanel include any Attracta stuff with a default installation or can I assume all the Attracta stuff on my server is left over from their plugin? I will reach out to them and see if they have a version of their uninstall script that supports EasyApache 4 and one that is a little more thorough. Thanks!

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

cPanel no longer includes any data associated with the Attracta plugin by default. Any leftover files would stem from the plugin.

Let us know the outcome after reaching out to their support team.

Thanks!

5. Spork Schivago

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks cPanelMichael. I reached out to their support, and according to the automated support system, I should be receiving a response within the next 24 hours. I will wait until the 24 hours are up before I do anything. This way, if they do get back to me and want to fix their uninstall script, they can see what was left over on my system. It looks like their uninstall script hasn't been touched since around 2013. Maybe their plugin is dead? I don't know. I know I get a lot of spam from them now, where they try to get me to purchase stuff from them (services). That's the main reason I want to do away with their plugin. Also, I don't use it, so there's no since having it installed.

Thanks for the quick replies!

6. Spork Schivago

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have gotten a reply! Just in case anyone else comes here looking for a solution to the same or a similar problem, these are the instructions that were given to me:
    Code:
    1. Unregister the plugin from WHM /usr/local/cpanel/bin/unregister_appconfig attractaseo-acv2-1
    2. Then remove the Hooks from WHM in WHM >> Development >> Manage Hooks
    3. Run each of these below

rm -rf /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/Attracta*
    rm -rf /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/Attracta*
    rm -rf /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Attracta*
    rm -rf /usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend/*/*/*attracta*
    rm -rf /usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend/*/*/*attracta*
    rm -rf /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/addonfeatures/attracta_*
    rm -rf /usr/local/cpanel/bin/attractaadmin
    rm -rf /usr/local/cpanel/bin/attractawrap
    rm -rf /var/cpanel/registered_cpanelplugins/attracta_*
    rm -rf /home/*/.attracta*
    rm -rf /var/cpanel/attracta*
    rm -rf /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/docroot/cgi/attracta*
    rm -rf /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/attracta*
    rm -rf /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/attracta*
    rm -rf /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/ThirdParty/Attracta*
    rm -rf /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Config/ConfigObj/Driver/Attracta*
    rm -rf /root/.attracta*
    rm -rf /var/cpanel/dynamicui_grouporder/attracta
    rm -rf /var/cpanel/activate/features/attracta
    rm -rf /usr/local/cpanel/install/attracta*
    rm -rf /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/docroot/themes/x/icons/attracta.png
    rm -rf /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/docroot/templates/software_components/attracta.tmpl
    rm -rf /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/docroot/cgi/attracta.cgi
    rm -rf /usr/local/cpanel/src/3rdparty/other/attracta*
    rm -rf /usr/local/cpanel/install/Attracta*
    rm -rf /usr/local/cpanel/bin/update-attracta

4. Then run /usr/local/cpanel/bin/rebuild_sprites
    5. Then run crontab -e to remove the cronjobs

I sent a reply to them suggesting they update their uninstallation script to support EasyApache 4. I said EasyApache 4 is becoming pretty popular and I feel in the future, cPanel might remove EasyApache 3 all together. I said if they didn't have anyone to update the script for them, I could send them a patch that detects EasyApache 4 and, if found, execute the various commands they told me to execute.

Thanks! I believe this topic can now be marked as SOLVED!

vlee, kennyLtv, 4u123 and 1 other person like this.
  7. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Thanks. Useful info.

8. vlee

vlee Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ya, Attracta cPanel Plugin is broken.

I had a couple clients that told me about last week. Then cannot login to their Attracta account and come ups with errors when they try and I tested it and also found out that on a fresh install no problem. But still has the same issue on the client side.

Then in the partner account side through WHM under linked servers the new cPanel has a ID but everything else is blank.

I have sent Attracta support this information a week ago and have not heard back from them.

So I have uninstalled Attracta plugin from my servers until I hear back from them that is if I ever hear back from them.

For right now stay away from using Attracta.

9. Spork Schivago

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Did you use the information in this thread to uninstall it?

Thanks!

10. vlee

vlee Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, I did the information in this thread to uninstall it.

11. Spork Schivago

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Good to go. I'm glad you found it useful. I tried finding the information myself on the internet but couldn't find anything that showed how to manually uninstall Attracta.

I'm a bit surprised though that the company that makes the Attracta cPanel plugin hasn't fixed the issue yet. When I first contacted them (quite a while ago), I offered to help and said I could submit a patch that would allow it to uninstall properly with EasyApache4 but they said they didn't need the help and their developers were working on the problem and should have a fix within the week.

Maybe they gave up or found it harder than they originally thought it'd be? I dunno.

12. vlee

vlee Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Attracta was a very tool in the past.

But they seem to do not care in supporting cPanel any more.

They used have a support page on their website and they do not have one now just a email address.

If they do not respond to my emails that I have sent then I will stop supporting them all together. Very poor customer service by not responding in a certain period of time.

13. vlee

vlee Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It is amazing I just received a response from Attracta about the cPanel plugin.

I answered to their response and see what happens after this. I will post the final response in this thread whenever I do get one from them.